No Rest for the Wrestlers

Scorps Wrestling Competes Well at First Tournament

Trey Ecker

This past Saturday the Satellite Scorpion Wrestling team traveled to Lake Howell High School to compete in their first tournament of the season. The tournament was an Individual Bracket Tournament meaning that each wrestler competed on their own and there was no team score.

The team recently had a preseason classic match at Astronaut High School in which the Scorpions performed very well. Every wrestler for the Scorps won at least one match and Alec Rittenhouse (11) had two pins on the night. After the preseason match, the Scorps trained hard throughout the week to get ready for the first tournament. Satellite wrestlers performed very well at the tournament with several athletes who made the podium. Four year wrestler Kolin Marsh (12) had a very successful day finishing out the tournament with a solid second place finish. Though Marsh couldn’t win in the finals match, he did fight valiantly, losing to a former state champ. Another four year wrestler, Jerome Altvater (12), finished in the top four. losing in the 3rd place match, though he lost he still had an outstanding performance on the day. Rittenhouse finished with a nice 4th place finish to close out the Scorpions podium finishes. Marsh,  one of the veterans of the team, believes that “hard work and […] more guys out on the team” could produce a victorious season. Two year wrestler Jacob Tihoni (10) had a 6th place finish, just barely missing out at a finishing spot on the podium. New wrestlers Elijah Wilson (9) and Rafael Lopez (9) were unable to advance onto the semifinal and final rounds, but they did perform well on their first matches of the season. Marsh reflects on the match, saying that he thinks the Scorps “did pretty good for the new guys we got; they did exceptionally good. It feels nice to come back to a season with a whole bunch of good guys.”

The Scorps hope to keep up the good work and secure future successes throughout the season. The performance of their first tournament shows promise for the Scorps’ season. The Scorpion wrestling team is still available to join and would be glad to add interested athletes to the team.