In The Early Days

Life Before Early Release

Chelsea Basford

The days before early release were from 8:45- 3:30 for all public high schools in Brevard County. After the 2014-2015 school year, the school board made the executive decision to alter the normal school day to provide the teachers with more planning time to grade papers, prepare for the rest of the week, and interact with the students’ parents. This new change was implemented on August 19th, 2015, the first day of the next school year. While students were rejoicing with the news of early release, working parents and parents of younger students began to frantically scramble to make arrangements for their kids after school on the early release days. This new change brought about more time for the students and teachers while complicating the lives of parents who struggle to uphold a full-time job and take care of students in grade school and up through high school, adding the major concern of child care and transportation.

Students can’t remember school before the early release days, as the thought of a school week having a full five days of schools is taunting for many. They enjoy the extra hour and fifteen minutes, whether it is used to catch up on homework, study, or simply just have an extra hour or so of downtime every week to rely on. At this point, they are realizing that they wouldn’t survive without the early release days. Sara Shamlin (12) opines, “I prefer early release days because I can schedule a day to relax and have a little time to herself. Although I did not attend Satellite before the early release days, I am sure that I would not be a fan of it.” Chase Haight (10) is in agreement with Shamlin: “ I like the early release, because you get home sooner and it allows you to get more stuff done like homework and free time to relax or catch up on lost sleep.” Sarah Stukey, junior, also concurs. “I like the early release days because it allows more time to do homework, which in turn gives me more time to rest, which is always a plus.” Finally,  Luke Dickinson (9) says, “I like the early release day because it gives more time after school for whatever necessary.”

Overall, this change in the school week schedule was a positive for the students and teachers. Most students don’t see a negative in the early release days, and it only negatively affects working parents of younger children in grade school. Ultimately, for high school students it is beneficial, as it is used for mental health upkeep, catching up on homework, or just plain relaxation.