How to: Shake it Up Mid-Semester

Easiest Ways to Retain Interest in School

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to: Shake it Up Mid-Semester

Shake it up mid-semester by joining a sport or club.

Photo Credit Trey Ecker

Photo Credit Trey Ecker

Photo Credit Trey Ecker

Taylor Rohleen

So, it’s mid-semester. The rhythm of school has finally begun to settle in (hopefully), and now, you find yourself at a crossroads: Do I continue on this steady path, or do I leap into the unknown and scramble up the system?  Change is not only beneficial, but necessary for growth. High school is a particularly sublime time to discover new passions and learn more about yourself, which can certainly be accomplished through change. So, if you have chosen to assimilate yourself into the world of Satellite High School, ideal options for every student can be found below.

1. Clubs Galore.

More often than not, clubs are eager to accept new members.

Do you…

Find yourself watching too many episodes of Scandal? Join Model Student Senate!

Consider yourself a tree-hugger? Join Environmental Action Club!

Secretly wish you were at Hogwarts right now? Grab your nearest broomstick and fly into Harry Potter Club!

The options are quite endless due to SHS’s plethora of clubs. Take a peek into your student planner (p.23-24) and see if any of the clubs spark some interest in you. If not, resort to the following alternative:

Photo by Ms. Hendley

Photo by Ms. Hendley

1. Found a Club.

You’ve thumbed through the student planner and hit a wall– none of the clubs are appealing. This can be remedied through consulting a teacher about a passion of yours in an effort to convince them to sponsor your club! Not only is this a technique to meet people and get involved, but it will also make you look like a more promising scholar when it comes to college application time.

1. Join a Winter or Spring Sport.

Luckily, fall sports are coming to a close, which gives you ample time to prepare for the upcoming season of whichever sport you endeavor to join. At the moment, women’s lacrosse and men’s wrestling are beginning to set into motion. Both sports, and others, are fantastic ways to bond, because you will already have a liking to the sport in common with your teammates!

1. Talk to New People in Your Classes.

While it may deploy the extroverted side of you, this is a commitment-free way to put yourself out there. Try getting into a new group for a project or playing games with a different people than usual at gym! Talking to new people is more of a spontaneous option, so it is suitable for the brave at heart.

1. Submit a Piece for the Upcoming Cyclone

Expressive (and possibly collaborative) minds ought to generate content for SHS’s literary magazine, The Cyclone. This is a delightful creative outlet that will employ time outside of school, and get your name out there. If you’re shy and do not want the student body to read your name, submitting anonymously can rectify the situation. If you want to take it up a notch, ask a friend or a student in English or art to create something with you! There are several ways to submit a piece, and they all attain involvement in Satellite High School.
Clearly, there are multitudes of methods to getting involved at Satellite High School. Try something new and make more friends. By doing so, the everlasting school day will become more enjoyable and worthwhile. Windows of opportunity will open, so start somewhere, preferably on the list, and carpe that diem.