Senior Scorps Reflect on Football Days

What Comes After the Last Game

Satellite's boys hoist the

Satellite's boys hoist the "Beach Board" after defeating Cocoa Beach. Photo by Andrea Lemming.

Marissa Comunale and Isabella Dawson

As the famous football season comes to a bittersweet close, seniors reflect on their experience playing with the Scorps.  

Every year,  football players watch as their senior teammates are escorted down the field by loved ones. As their friends cross the iconic S in the middle of the field and fight tears as their picture is taken, the players know that one day they too will be making the same journey to their last game ever played in the “Scorp Dome.” For many, this is where their football career ends.

Senior Josh Leming has spent the past eight years of his life playing football.  “It’s crazy to think I will never pull a football helmet over my head again.”  Leming reflects on his last high school football game  fondly. “I think we played well but we definitely underestimated Cocoa Beach. They really gave us their all, and it was a close call, but as a team we overcame adversity.”  Leming is adamant about playing fair and giving his best effort to achieve the team’s best outcome.

Spencer Boone, senior captain, share that he’s “been playing for four years. [The last game] was exciting, yet sad because I was leaving my family. I am okay with it because it is all part of growing up. I gave it my all, just like everyone else, we played to the last seconds.”  Boone is apart of the many that have looked at senior night as an emotional, exciting night about reflecting on progress and determination as well as learning a moral lesson: to never give up. He leaves the team with a final message to “ work hard, never give up, always strive to improve yourself and others.”

Senior Captain, Erik Askeland,  agrees that “it was very bittersweet” as he entered the ScorpDome one last time. “I left it all out on the field in my last game, and beating Cocoa Beach four years in a row was a great way to end my senior season.”   Askeland is one of the many football players that endured four years of Friday night’s  under the bright lights, and he reflects by adding that he’s “been playing since 4th grade. It was very bittersweet. I’m going to miss the coaches and ballin’ with my boys. I’m going to miss Satellite Football for sure.” Askeland, in accordance with Boone, looked at this night as a bond between his teammates and a bond between him and football, that will never be broken.