The Fall of Facebook

How Older Users Scare Off Youngsters

Facebook is used less and less often by teens nowadays--are other sites to blame?

Sara Shamlin

As Facebook’s user demographic is becoming seemingly older and older, it is becoming less appealing to their younger users, even though it is by far the most useful app. This increase in older users is causing Facebook to fall.

From Myspace to Instagram, there is always an app that allows people to share what is happening in their lives, but like everything people began to lose interest in them. Facebook is one of most known “forgotten” apps. It is still widely used but it has for some reason been placed with the title of an app for “older people”? Why is this? Some believe that it is because newer and better apps came along such as Snapchat and Instagram. But does this mean that it is wrong or weird for teenagers to use Facebook? Because that is what many people make it seem. I am seventeen and I continue to use Facebook. In some ways it is the only way to communicate with family members or old friends. Sure, my family or friends may not have an account but the likelihood of them having a Snapchat or Instagram is even less likely.

If that isn’t a good enough reason to prove everyone should use Facebook, well here’s another one. It allows you to catch up with old friends and see what they are up too. Without Facebook, many people wouldn’t have come back into contact with old high school or college friends. Even for teenagers they are able to reconnect with friends they have not seen in awhile.

Though I’ll admit Facebook is not the only one that allows you to do this; apps such as Twitter and Instagram do the same, yet Facebook is the one that gets the bad rep.  Facebook is basically Twitter and Instagram combined: You can post how you are feeling or just a post a picture, but either way you are getting the same use out of Facebook as any other app. Not to mention, on Facebook you can make events and send out invitations through the app. What’s not to love?

Many people, including myself, believe Facebook’s downfall came when parents and grandparents started making their own accounts. No one really wants their mom or dad looking at everything they post, but this doesn’t mean that Facebook shouldn’t be used at all. Sure it’s true that your family members may be able to see what you are thinking or doing but is that such a bad thing, especially when you have moved out or live somewhere else? Facebook is a great way for you to stay in touch with your loved ones and that is something that everyone needs, a way to escape and vent to a family member who lives far away. Lastly, it is a great way to reminisce, with Facebook’s new feature that allows you to look back on old posts or photos you will never forget the fun times and great memories.

In the end Facebook is hopefully an exception to the age old adage, “Out with old and in with the new”.

About the Writer
Sara Shamlin, Student Life Staff
I’m Sara Shamlin and I work as a writer on our opinion team.