Stellar Scorps, Issue II

This Month’s Star: Egan Kattenberg

Chelsea Basford

Stellar Scorps, a series showcasing Satellite High School’s most dedicated and sensational scholars, interviews Egan Kattenberg: senior, twin, runner, and tennis player extraordinaire.

High school is demanding enough without the intensive and crammed schedule of three sports. For Kattenberg, his week is infinitely more strenuous:

“I begin with waking up at 6 A.M. and going to run from 6:30-7:30 everyday. After school I have tennis practice except Fridays when we have track meets, and Tuesdays and Thursdays I usually have tennis matches. At the tennis matches I play #2 in singles and #1 in doubles, requiring that I have to be on my best performance everyday. Mondays and Wednesdays after tennis practice, which typically end by 6 o’clock, I go home to double (a second run for the day) by myself. On top of that, I usually have some homework to do, and I have to eat, so that comes after I finally get home. On the weekends, I run [both] morning and afternoon on Saturdays and mornings on Sundays. I have tennis practice on my own some time in the afternoon for 2-3 hours. The remainder of the day is spent either watching TV, Detroit Red Wings, or doing homework. Overall, I would definitely say that my average weekday and weekend are pretty busy.”

A QUICK GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING TENNIS:

SINGLES =  A match in which two players play against each other

DOUBLES = Played by two teams of two players each, most often all-male or all-female

RANKINGS = #1; best player on the team, #2; second best player, and so on.

While most high schoolers have a generally busy life with social activities and studying, Egan’s schedule is much more demanding with the addition of three sports. One important aspect of handling two sports and school that has benefitted Kattenberg is time management and concentration during the school day to maximize productivity and reduce the amount homework that would need to be done at home.

“I would say that my time management skills are definitely subpar, but I’m working on improving them, and I don’t have a specific day to day schedule, because everyday is different. When it comes to extracurriculars, I am the vice president for NHS, so I have to work my schedule around the meetings and commits that are involved with the honor society. Basically, I will always have commitments and homework, so I have to just think about one day at a time and complete all necessary tasks.”

Overall, hardwork and dedication are the driving motivating factors that shape how Egan and many other high school students survive these four demanding years. Without these skills, it would be very difficult and almost impossible to play two sports, be academically involved within the school, and ultimately better prepare yourself for college and life after. Due to his multifarious skills, Kattenberg is well prepared for his future.