Rounding the Bend at Bolles

Satellite Track & Field

Photo by John Cacciatore

Photo by John Cacciatore

Photo by John Cacciatore

Ashley Basford

The track team left early Friday morning to Jacksonville, a long, tiring bus ride that’s approximately 3 hours long, and arrived at Bolles around 11 am. The Bolles meet is a popular meet amongst all the track teams and brings out the fastest runners. Thus, the meet officials have open races and seated races only for those who have the qualifying time. The open 1600 run has girls ranging from 10:00 minute milers to 5:30 milers who either have too many qualifying times, forcing some to run in the open, or who do not meet the specific time required. Each event only allowed 2 athletes to participate in the event to spare time, as there’d be too many heats otherwise. The girls’ team placed 14th out of 24 teams with 13 points and the boys’ team placed 2nd out of 24 teams with 71 points.

The girls’ 4 by 800 team got 4th place overall with a time of 10:09. Leading was sophomore Marie Groppel with a time of 2:31, Lana Rukab (10) ran 2:32, Abby Cowart (10) ran 2:38, and Sara Towers (11) ran the last leg with a time of 2:27 on a injured knee. In the 100 meter dash, Ahnissa Scone (12) and Arianna Nelson (11) placed 25th and 37th in the seated race. In the 200 meter dash, Dayna Ladd (11) and Lexi Carter (9) placed 29th and 34th in the seated race. In the seated 800 meter race, Chelsea Basford (11) ran 2:33 earning a spot on the 4 by 800 team, bumping off Abby Cowart. In the seated 1600 meter race, Lana Rukab (10) and Marie Groppel (10) placed 19th and 20th overall in windy, cold conditions. Ashley Basford (11) and Brianna Basford (11) ran the 3200 meter race around 8:00 pm, which was the last race of the day; they placed 14th and 15th. Emma Logue (12) placed 20th in the 300 meter hurdles in 55.98 seconds.

Quick Comedy: “I used to have a fear of hurdles… but I got over it”-Emma Logue (12)

The boys’ 4 by 8 team placed 2nd, finishing 9 seconds behind the winning team with a time of 8:19. Leading was junior Charlie Dickinson with a time of 2:01, running second was John Padilla (11), who kept up with the leader until he handed the baton to Trevor Kattenberg (12) with a time of 2:09, and the last leg was ran by Egan Kattenberg (12). Zerius Cobb (11) ran the 100 meter race, placing 14th with a time of 11.46 seconds, and Beau Cole (10) ran the 200 meter dash, placing 24th with a time of 26.19 seconds. Joshua Claybaugh (11) placed 6th overall in the 400 meter dash with a time of 52.82 seconds and is improving everyday. John Padilla (11) ran the 800 meter dash, placing 2nd overall with a time of 2:00 minutes. In the 1600 meter run, Walker Hirsch (11) and Egan Kattenberg (12) placed 5th and 12th. Charlie Dickinson (11) and Michael Wilson (12) placed 5th and 11th in the 3200 meter run, running 9:44 and 9:54. Luis Morris (11) competed in the 110 meter hurdles, 300 meter hurdles, and the pole vault placing 6th, 7th, and 5th in his events. Thomas Persicketti (11) placed 1st in the high jump, jumping 6-02.75. Noah Mumme (11) placed 1st overall in the pole vault, almost beating the school record at 14-09.25. The discus and shotput athletes placed 5th, 6th, and 10th and in the shotput they placed 4th, 6th, and 10th.

John Padilla (11), Charlie Dickinson (11), Trevor Kattenberg (12), Egan Kattenberg (12), Johnny Cacciatore (12), and Noah Mumme (11) all qualified for New Balance Indoor Nationals. John Padilla (11), Charlie Dickinson (11), Trevor Kattenberg (12), and Egan Kattenberg (12) are running the 4 by 1 mile,  Johnny Cacciatore(12) is running the 2 mile, and Noah Mumme (11) is competing in the pole vault division. This meet is for athletes who compete above their state level including Olympic qualifiers competing and other high performing athletes. It is truly an honor for all the athletes to compete in this meet.

To see the full meet results, visit this site.