The Senioritis Situation

Senioritis Among Satellite Students

As with other high school seniors, Satellite's seniors are suffering from

As with other high school seniors, Satellite's seniors are suffering from "senioritis." Graphic by Jazz Dawkins

Jazzarie Dawkins

Coming back from Winter Break, it is very common to see seniors start not turning in work on time, coming to school late, and even not showing up to school at all. This results in failing grades, and students becoming very stressed as the year starts to come to an end. This familiar routine can be referred to as Senioritis, which is categorized as an “a decline in motivation or academic performance that supposedly afflicts some seniors in high school. Senioritis is often seen as a made-up phrase to excuse laziness, procrastination, and unproductivity; however, research has been conducted to prove if Senioritis is a real thing.

Regarding this, Jacob Wenner feels that he is “kinda going through Senioritis” at the moment, and he “definitely can feel [himself] wanting to be done with highschool.” He also adds that “one of [his] friends has it and her grades have been slipping.” Thus, he and his friend believe that Senioritis is real. Senior Victoria Sztark says she is also currently going through Senioritis, and because of it, she has eighteen absences from this year. She has a friend Laurie Colby who is currently going through it as well, and she has also missed school. “It affects her grades because she’s never here and then she gets stressed out because she has to catch up. Senioritis is hard because when you’re already accepted to college, it makes you not want to go to school, but you have to continue or else you’ll get unaccepted.” Senior Robyn Godden responds that she too has Senioritis, and “it’s been going on for a while.” She also adds, “Pretty much everybody I know has Senioritis and it leads to their work not getting done. It all goes downhill…”

It seems that Sztark was on the right track when she stated that it was hard for her to stay motivated, since she is already accepted into college. According to a counselor from Steinhardt NYU, Senioritis stems from pre-acceptance to colleges, resulting in lack of motivation after being accepted: You already feel like you’re done working. Also, it stems from seasonal depression, stress, and anxiety.

Satellite students agree that Senioritis is an ongoing issue that they all face and affects their grades. Since Senioritis stems mostly from lack of motivation academic wise, students should still push through and be reminded about the big picture in the end. Whether you’ve already been accepted to college or not, you still need to graduate, and you can’t graduate with failing grades. Keep up with your assignments, be on time to class, maintain decent grades, and you should be able to avoid Senioritis and be on the road to success.