Riling Up School Rivalries

Which Schools Do You Hate The Most?

In the midst of the school day, among the lectures and note-taking and quizzes, a pulse lies in the student body: a pulse of rivalry—school rivalry, that is. Whether you loathe Holy Trinity, Viera, or Cocoa Beach, the classic crowd favorite, rival schools possess the unique capability of stirring a distinct hatred within the student body.

Of all the rivals, Cocoa Beach High School seems to outrank Brevard’s other academic institutions in this department. Senior Colin McKinnon has nearly four years of experiencing this rivalry. He remarks, “Cocoa Beach, we are rivals with in every sport.” Canon Crovo (12)  agrees, because “they’re the other beach team in Brevard.” Their coastal location has certainly set up a unique enmity within SHS’s sports, specifically one that fires up the entire student body. In Crovo’s words, “When we destroy Cocoa Beach in every sport, we go crazy after the games.”

Satellite vs. Cocoa Beach. Photo by Kevin Blanchard.

While the CB competition is obvious among the student body, there are other rivals, specifically one which faces us regularly but resides across the causeway: Viera High School. As Delaurians split to either SHS or VHS for their high school careers, they become partial to one of the two. For those who join both a new school and their swim team, the newfound camaraderie carries over to the pool deck, as Scorps have had a long-standing rival with Viera. Team Captain McKinnon attributes this to friendships with Viera swimmers: Since a chunk of them swim for the same club teams, they “always have close meets” when against each other, thus motivating Satellite swimmers to race hard and cheer on their teammates.

Despite the rivalry between Satellite and Viera swimmers, at the end of the day, they’re all friends.

Also across the causeway is Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy, where both cross country, track, and Latin programs face rivalries. All of the teams’ rivalries stem from coach swapping: Coach Butler, cross country and track coach, originally trained HT’s cross country team but was fired and then rehired at SHS. Many of the runners simultaneously transferred schools at the same time, creating tension between the schools. For the Latin program, Satellite’s former teacher Adam Mize transferred to teaching at Holy Trinity. Because he was esteemed by Satellite students, they now have a “close rivalry,” opines Michaela Foley (12), Vice President of Latin Club. These rivals battle it out at Latin Fora, where the competition becomes rather intense: During the roll call of schools at State Forum, Foley describes how “Holy Trinity referenced something about Mr.Mize.” Since this occurred right at the start of forum, it “gave [Satellite] a boost to beat them,” which they did.

Ultimately, although school rivalry is negative in nature, the ardor within it fuels each team to play harder and encourages them to win. “We all come together to try to beat them,” exclaims Kelly Sigmon (10), libero for Varsity Volleyball. Thankfully, in most cases they do.