Senior Year Is Not Easy

Is Junior Year Actually Harder Than Senior Year?

Exams, exams, exams! Graphic by Sara Shamlin

Sara Shamlin

As the end of the school year is fast approaching, students are beginning to look back on the load of school work they have done. Contrary to many, I believe that senior year is by far more difficult than junior year.

From college applications to just writing an essay for English class, senior year is jam packed with loads of work; even from the beginning of the year, there seems to be no time for a break. Seniors are applying not only to colleges, but also for scholarships. Not to mention, they are also going to school for seven hours a day, so their free-time consists of writing essays and filling out paperwork instead of hanging out with friends. Senior year has always been considered the year you should enjoy yourself and spend time with friends before everyone leaves for college in the fall. Yet, seniors are held up in their rooms rushing to finish their homework on Sunday night because they spent the weekend focusing on college instead of their homework. In what way is this enjoying yourself? This constant rushing to finish homework, just adds to the stress seniors are already facing from college decisions, or even the continuous thought of, “What are you going to do with your life?”

There are many factors that play into all of this. One major factor is the classes chosen for both years. If a student took a heavier courseload in junior year, they will most likely believe that senior year is nothing comparatively. Many seniors choose to take an easier course load and just coast through the year. So does this mean that it is actually the students’ fault they are not enjoying their final year?  Of course not; most seniors want to take harder classes, some because of their parents, while others take harder classes just to continue to impress colleges.

I will admit that junior year was a tough year, especially since you are trying to impress colleges, but it is nothing compared senior year. Senior year is one of the best and worst years of your life. You experience the great feeling of being accepted into a college, finding out who your roommate will be and of course the best part, graduation. With that comes stressing about college deadlines, trying to figure out the finances of college, and leaving your friends behind.

In the end there is no definitive answer on which year is harder because so many factors come into play but in my opinion, senior year has been the most difficult.