The Delivery Dilemma

The Problem with Ordering Food to the School

The Delivery Dilemma. Credit: Jazz Dawkins

Jazz Dawkins

Satellite Students are filled with outrage over not being able to order pizza to the school. This dispute is tied to other lunch related complications, such as being able to leave campus during lunch. Students hope that with the new phone policy, other changes can be made along with it. However, there are some legitimate reasons why schools do not allow restaurant delivery during lunch.

Students obviously believe that there should be a rule allowing them to order pizza to the school, as it is a favorite of many and would make the school day even better. Senior Tashara Kait offers, “if you didn’t bring lunch or don’t order from the school, you should be able to buy Domino’s or Chinese [food].” Sophomore Lauren Parkinson adds, “At my old school in Colorado, we were allowed to order delivery to the school, and pick it up at the front office.” Teachers, even, have ordered pizza to the front office as well. While being a teacher does allow them to do more things, if students order from the same restaurant as them, then what would the issue be?

Although this “delivery dilemma” seems foolish to some, there are substantial reasons why ordering food to the school would be an issue. Number one and probably most important is safety. Although Satellite Beach proves to be a pretty safe city, you never know what a delivery person’s intentions are other than just delivering pizza. Also, Satellite students don’t always clean up after themselves after lunch anyhow, so imagine the mess left after lunch if there were a new policy allowing students to order food to the school. Further, imagine how crowded the school’s front office would be if a numerous amount of students ordered lunch to the front office and how jammed the parking lot would be: The way it is when school is over, except filled with delivery cars. And lastly, you’d have to order pizza prior to lunch time, mostly likely during class, which would be distracting and a violation of school policy. Likewise, if your order came late or didn’t come on time for whatever reason and you missed lunch, the problem still stands that you’d be hungry and be disruptive to your period after lunch, as you would have to get your lunch from the office and eat it in class, if your teacher allows you to.

However, there are some simple solutions to this disagreement: having administration and the district approve nearby restaurants to deliver food to the school, having sign up sheets in the front office for which days students plan on ordering food―with a max of ten students a day to avoid crowds―and of course, bringing a lunch from home or buying from the school, as usual. Furthermore, Pizza Hut has a school lunch program that delivers pizza to the cafeteria and is specially made so it is healthier than regular pizza and fits within the National Smart Lunch Program and Smart Snack Entree Regulations. If anything, healthier pizza is better than no pizza.