The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

The Vampire Diaries Series Finale We All Need to Talk About

Vampire+Diaries
Vampire Diaries

Vampire Diaries

Vampire Diaries

Madison Moesly

For most people the tenth of March was just another normal Friday, but for the innumerous amount of Vampire Diaries viewers, that Friday marked the end of a thrilling, eight season series finale. The Vampire Diaries began in 2009 and we’ve all been on the edge of our seat since. Fans were given many hints and glimpses of the upcoming scenes about the finale titled “I Was Feeling Epic” and were told that a character dear to us (surprise, surprise)  would die; however, I don’t think anyone was prepared for what we were given.

Spoiler alert! Who knew it would be the main character Stefan–who we watched grow up throughout every season–to die? In the finale, Katherine (Elena’s doppleganger and Damon’s and Stefan’s first love) was planning on setting fire to all of Mystic Falls, burning Elena’s(main character) trapped body with it. However, everyone who knows Damon (Stefan’s brother, Elena’s boyfriend) knew he would never leave Elena there to die alone.  To conquer Katherine’s evil plan, Bonnie(Elena’s best friend; she’s a witch) would break the spell unleashing Elena, then make the fire go through the underground tunnels instead of engulfing all of Mystic Falls, but someone had to be there to make sure Katherine would be in the tunnels to die and not escape. Damon was supposed to hold Katherine as the flames came, although Stefan felt he must make up for all the terrible things he’d done all his life (like turning Damon into a vampire and killing Enzo, Bonnie’s boyfriend), so after back and forth arguing, Stefan injected Damon with his blood (the cure) and was killed with Katherine in the tunnels instead of Damon. After Stefan died, he was joined with one of his best friends, Lexi, telling her he was “feeling epic.” Now that Damon has the cure, he is alive and reunited with Elena, where they live a long, happy life together. In the end, it shows how there is peace after death, Elena is reunited with her parents and aunt, Jenna, and Damon gets to finally be with his brother Stefan again. The episode ends with the infamous line given by Damon (Ian Somerhalder) saying,  “Hello brother.”

I am so incredibly happy with the finale, even though I think I cried 171 times. I don’t believe any other turn of events would’ve been as satisfying. Julie Plec stated that before Nina Dobrev left the show the alternative ending would’ve been Damon and Stefan both dying to save Elena, then have both watching her as ghosts, live the rest of her life, which would’ve been just as good and I would’ve cried just as much. Despite that, the finale left many of the characters lives open for discussion, thus leaving a possible spinoff of either Caroline’s life without Stefan or what happened between Damon and Elena after Stefan’s death, because we really didn’t get to see much.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The End of The Vampire Diaries Era”

1. Rhonda on March 30th, 2017 6:38 am

Miss them so much my heart is breaking the show had shown me love can be possible again

2. Plove on March 30th, 2017 9:07 am

I love this show I hate that it is ending. I surely hope there is a spin off.

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

An Ode to Seniors: Life Without You

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

Prom Reflections

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

Journalism Farewell

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

News on Thirteen Reasons Why

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

The Fictitious Gender Throwdown

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

Battle of the Bash

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

For Honor Review

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

April Netflix Releases

• The End of The Vampire Diaries Era

Farewell, Club Penguin

The End of The Vampire Diaries Era