Betsy DeVos Confirmation

You Can “Betsy” That’s What We’re Talking About

Betsy DeVos was a controversial cabinet appointment. Photo: Public Domain

Bella Dawson

Starting in late November, as President Trump declared Betsy DeVos to be nominated for Secretary of Education, DeVos has received a wave of criticism and disapproval from people nation-wide.  DeVos’ career can best be described as  “wealthy Republican philanthropist.” While Republican’s praise her for her “dedication” to schools and children, Democrats have noticed her extreme inexperience and ultimate lack of knowledge when it comes to running a large bureaucratic department.

In a questioning from Senators, causes such as Individuals With Disabilities Education Act were brought to Ms. DeVos’s attention; in response, DeVos acted unmindful and oblivious to these policies that have been standing since before her nomination. In a recent interview, she announced that some school officials should be allowed to carry guns in effort to “protect from potential grizzlies.” These comments have sparked a fire within teachers and school officials, classifying DeVos as unqualified and unfit for the job.

DeVos made a statement declaring she wanted to cut federal funding for public schools. Many students rely on free public education as the road to all their success. However, upon research from the DeVos website, there are no concrete plans to cut the federal funding.

President Trump’s opinion on his elected Secretary of Education differs from the nation’s population. Trump opined that DeVos “has endured a very unfair trial.” Trump continued, “We want every child to have an opportunity to climb the ladder to success, it all begins with education.” However, Trump criticized “failing schools,” stating that “millions of poor, disadvantaged students are trapped in poor, failing schools. We’re going to change it around, especially for the African American communities.”  

Regarding the Common Core, DeVos has been a keen supporter. By donating an abundance of her money and service to groups to have encouraged the Common Core, it is evident that she believes it is best for schools. However, President Trump disagrees and states that the Common Core was a “disaster”.

Americans are eager to see what Betsy Devos has planned up her sleeve next.