Farewell, Club Penguin

Club Penguin Is Ending And It’s The End of The World

HERE+LIES+CLUB+PENGUIN+
HERE LIES CLUB PENGUIN

HERE LIES CLUB PENGUIN

Photo Credit Jazz Dawkins

Photo Credit Jazz Dawkins

HERE LIES CLUB PENGUIN

The time has come, the moment everyone hasn’t been waiting for: The world is coming to an end.

In March 2005, the founders of Club Penguin set out to create an ad-free, virtual world where children could play games, have fun, and interact,” states the official Club Penguin website.  Club Penguin–the online interactive game that gave many so much joy–has come to an end. Club Penguin gave players the opportunity to escape their troubles when life was getting too hard. Club Penguin was started about twelve years ago, so it’s been with us most of our adolescent lives. Many question what they’re supposed to do now when bored in class or dodging homework.  

During the last month prior to the game shutting down, there has been a lot of tension building up. Some of the players have stated things like “ let’s protest against Disney” and “ let’s come together and revolt.” Clearly, many are very angry about this transition and do not agree with the decision at all. I think that they should take into consideration all of the players that are on the game currently; even though the numbers may have dropped over the years, it could spike again.

Do we go to Cool Math Games or Poptropica? No, no we will not, we cannot, we must unite. No game will be as inspiring as Club Penguin. What am I supposed to do in class now? Actually work? No, thank you. This game provided an opportunity for many people of all ages to interact and create their own penguin. This source of entertainment allowed kids to be creative and express themselves through their penguin and their puffle. No online game will ever defeat Club Penguin. During the last few hours of my Club Penguin gaming, many penguins and myself tipped the popular iceberg and celebrated afterwards. We all came together and worked as a team which is very heartwarming .

The last virtual Disney website that closed was Pixie Hollow in 2013. I remember how devastated I was since I spent the majority of my childhood playing that game on the computer, especially during the summer. Now history is repeating itself as Disney closes yet another of my favorite virtual games. I believe that this is a mistake and Disney should at least bring out another game to replace it–not that it would be any better than Club Penguin–but Disney also failed to release a replacement game after they close Pixie Hollow, and that mistake shouldn’t be made again. If you’re gonna take away our childhoods, at least give us something in return.

I believe that many are affected by this drastic change because it was part of many people’s’ childhoods. Whenever I played Club Penguin, it always reminded me of elementary school and all the fun times in the media center.  Now with Club Penguin ending, how am I supposed to remember all those good times? The memories are now going to be wiped away along with the virtual game. I also think that the younger generations are to blame for this, because if they had played the game none of this would have happened! The numbers would be fine and the world would be balanced. Alas, Gen Z is  too focused on riding their hoverboards and playing Pokemon Go (so last summer).

Whenever I had free time, my instinct was to log onto Club Penguin and interact with people from around the world. This game created lifelong friendships that will live longer than the game itself. When I wanted to procrastinate my homework, Club Penguin was their to keep me busy. When I was having a bad day, Club Penguin was there to take my mind away from all of the horrible things going on. What I’m trying to say is, Club Penguin was there when nobody else was.

As we get older, we find that more and more of our childhood is being taken away from us. Disney has not only taken away our adolescent websites, but our favorite television shows too. Disney needs to step up their game and stop destroying our childhood. For your convenience, we’ve put a link for grieving users to submit their complaints; please submit responsibly.