Latin State Forum Exposé

Unveiling Florida’s State Latin Forum

Satellite's Latin program brings home a plethora of trophies on a yearly basis. Photo by Trey Ecker

Trey Ecker and Taylor Rohleen

While Satellite Latin students have been studying arduously for State Latin Forum, does anyone, besides them, know what State Forum is really all about?

For starters, State Latin Forum is much more than a competition to most of the competitors. Sheridan Ecker, 12, Latin President, explains, “I mean, I’m not going to lie, it’s a nerd convention. We literally spend at least two hours a week studying classics, willingly memorize a speech in Latin, and then compete against a bunch of other kids who are doing the same thing. But I think State is one of the few places where you can be yourself entirely without judgment. Whether you’re screaming for a solid ten minutes straight while wearing a toga at spirit or just swimming around in the pool, you’re engulfed in such a great camaraderie. I really don’t think there’s anything else quite like it in high school.” It’s truly a unique experience, and as Ecker stated, there is more to the competition than taking a test or memorizing a speech.

Spirit, for example, is at the opening ceremony of forum. Essentially, it is a brief, 10 minute competition in which schools show their passion for the classics by dressing up in togas and going insane. “Spirit is an event in which toga-wearing, face-painted Latin students from almost every school that are attending the State Forum (public and private) engage in a 10 minute period of intense cheering and chanting in order to essentially place 1st in spirit,” described by Michaela Foley, 12, Latin Vice President. The non-academic activities carry far into forum with karaoke, a talent show, and a dance as just some of the many options of things to do at state. Plus, the fact that these students enjoy all of this in the company of their peers encourages bonding and JCL love.

The nerdier side of Latin on the other hand is the academic competition which takes place at forum. Students study a variety of different topics such as Latin Literature, Grammar, History of the Empire, Hellenic History, and Greek Derivatives. For months the Satellite students have been studying after school and on their own time to perform well at the competition. Another academic driven event at State is Certamen which is essentially a classics based team jeopardy. The advanced Scorpion Certamen team placed first at Regionals and was able to move on to the State level. The team consists of Trent Blanchard, 12, Trey Ecker, 11, Sheridan Ecker, 12, and Colin Mckinnon, 12.

Taylor Rohleen, 10, Latin Historian, opines, “I’ve met some of my best friends from State Latin Forum. While it may seem rather nerdy to have bonded over a dead language, Latin truly brought us all together, and I am forever grateful for the opportunities that have come from this convention.”