Cape Coast Conference Champs

Satellite Track and Field Dominates Competition

Photo by Marissa Communale

Photo by Marissa Communale

Photo by Marissa Communale

Ashley Basford

Thursday afternoon the Satellite Track team traveled to Merritt Island High School for the Cape Coast Conference meet against 13 other schools. The boys team did an outstanding job at Conference, placing first overall. The girls team also competed very well, placing 3rd overall.  

The girls 4 by 800 was the first race of the day in the blistering heat and wind, running against 9 other schools. Marie Groppel (10) raced first, Anique Kattenberg (9) raced second, Chelsea Basford (11) raced third, and Sara Towers (11) raced last. Their overall time was 11:20 placing them third overall. In the 400 meter dash, Maria Valdez (11) ran in the second heat and ran 1:06.64 in the preliminaries.  Four Satellite runners qualified for the 800 meter run: Sara Towers (11), Chelsea Basford (11), Anique Kattenberg (9), and Gracie Perkins (10). Towers placed first overall with a time of 2:27, Basford placed 7th with a time of 2:34, Kattenberg placed 12th with a time of 2:40, and Perkins placed 13th with a time of 2:42. Marie Groppel (10), Ashley Basford (11), Audrey Ballard (10), and Jana Hitzemann (10) all qualified for the girls 1600 meter run. Groppel placed 7th overall with a time of 5:38, Basford placed 8th overall with a time of 5:44, Ballard placed 11th with a new personal record of 5:53, and Hitzemann placed 12th with a new personal record of 5:56. In the 3200 meter run, Lana Rukab (10), Marie Groppel (10), Brianna Basford (11), and Madeline Parry (12) all qualified for the race. After warming up for the race too late, Groppel, Basford, and Parry barely made it in time for their race while Rukab, unfortunately, did not make it in time and the race started without her. Groppel placed 7th overall with a time of 12:29, Basford placed 8th with a time of 13:04, and Parry placed 10th with a time of 13:31. In the girls 4 by 400 meter race, Abigail Cowart (10), Dayna Ladd (11), Kelly Straehla (11), and Sara Towers (11) competed in the race, placing 3rd overall with a time of 4:22.  In the girls pole vault, Alexandra Piriz (11) placed 2nd overall vaulting 3.03 meters and Reece Prospero (10) placed 8th vaulting 2.28 meters. In the girls long jump, Ahnissa Scone (12) placed 6th overall jumping 4.89 meters. In the girls discus, Holly Carter (11) placed 3rd and Olivia Heideman (11) placed 7th overall. The girls 4 by 100 meters was disqualified due to late handoffs, so their time was not taken.

The boys 4 by 800 meter race was after the girls race, where they placed first out of 13 teams. John Cacciatore (12), John Padilla (11), Egan Kattenberg (12), and Charlie Dickinson (11) ran 8:17 and the next team ran 8:26. In the 100 meter dash, Zerius Cobb (12) qualified for finals and placed 4th overall.  Chris Mejias (12) and Josh Claybaugh (11) both raced in the 400 meter dash. Mejias qualified for finals and placed 3rd overall while Claybaugh barely missed the finals. In the boys 800 meter dash, John Padilla (11), Charlie Dickinson (11), Egan Kattenberg (12), and Torin O’Brien (9) placed 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 15th overall. John Cacciatore (12) took the win for the 1600 followed closely by Walker Hirsch (11), who placed 3rd and Trevor Kattenberg (12) who placed 4th. Another win for Cacciatore was in the 3200 meter race followed by Trevor Kattenberg (12) placing 3rd, Michael Wilson(12) placing 4th, and Rahul Koshy(11) placing 9th. In the boys 300 meter hurdles, Luis Morris (11) placed 7th overall. The boys 4 by 100 meter team placed 4th overall, ran by Zerius Cobb (11), Beau Cole (10), Caden Larkin (11), and Noah Mumme (11). The boys 4 by 400 meter runners placed 6th overall, ran by Chris Mejias (12), Joshua Claybaugh (11), Egan Kattenberg (12), and Charlie Dickinson (11) with a time of 3:39. In the 4 by 800 meter race, the boys placed first overall, and the runners were Egan Kattenberg (12), John Padilla (11), John Cacciatore (12), and Charlie Dickinson (11). In the boys pole vault, Noah Mumme (11) and Luis Morris (11) placed 1st and 5th overall. In the shot put, Alex Iervasi (11) placed 2nd and Henry Covington (11) placed 6th. Luis Morris (11) placed 2nd overall in the discus and Scott Wieand (10) placed 5th.

Overall, the meet was a success for the team. Come out and support your fellow scorps this Thursday!