Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Weeks of Preparation Pays Off for SHS Junior Classical League

Taylor Rohleen, Staff

Satellite Latin brought home a top 10 overall finish at State Latin Forum, taking place April 6-8 in Orlando, Florida.

Following weeks of preparation, Classics students over florida gathered to take part in the 68th FJCL State Latin Forum. It came to an official start at opening ceremony on the evening of Thursday, April 6th, with the state’s best Classical intellectuals buzzing around the ballroom of the Wyndham Orlando Resort International Drive. Commencing forum began with the annual “Spirit” competition. In the 10 minutes of cheering and expressing Classical pride, Satellite, once again, proved to be one of the most enthusiastic schools in attendance by placing 7th of the 20+ schools in attendance.

Competitions promptly began the next morning, with the marathon starting at the ripe hour of 6am, followed by academic testing, then dramatic interpretations. All tangible creative projects had been submitted the day before to be judged the following day. After the academic and creative testing, the rest of the ludi competitions began. Of all the ludi, the most memorable event was the Roman Dress Relay, in which Hitoshi Cullinan (10), Trey Ecker (11), Louisa Khan (10), and Taylor Rohleen (10) frantically dressed themselves in a typical Roman outfit and sprinted across the courtyard to undress and then redress their teammates. They finished 1st with a remarkable time of 57 seconds, making them the only team to complete the challenge in under a minute.

Since ludi―hence the name―is solely fun and games, the results of the academic and creative contests were not regarded with the same whimsy and buoyancy: Scorps held hands and crossed fingers as the results of each category was announced.

Academically, Satellite had stellar Scorps placing well throughout all levels of latin. Latin 1 Blake Blanchard (9) placed 2nd in History of the Roman Republic. Kira Downs (11), Latin 2, performed astronomically well in Latin Derivative, placing 4th. In Advanced Greek Literature, Michaela Foley placed 2nd, leaving her final forum with a boom.

Considering that SHS is a fine arts school, their placement of 4th in the state was expected. For the SHS JCL, Historian Taylor Rohleen (10) created a scrapbook to highlight the school year’s memories and placed 2nd in that category, only befalling to Winter Springs High School’s scrapbook, which won 1st over the past three years. Regarding dramatic interpretations, Latin 2 Taylor Rohleen, (10) placed 2nd and Louisa Khan (10) placed 3rd. Advanced Latin Scorps also had outstanding results, as Sheridan Ecker (12) won 1st and Trey Ecker (11) 2nd in poetry; Colin McKinnon (12) placed 4th and Michaela Foley (12) 6th in prose.

Overall, Satellite High School placed 9th in the state, and they hope to improve their ranking next state forum. But for now, many Scorps are registering for National Latin Forum, held July 23-28 at Troy University in Troy, Alabama. Since Florida is the 3rd largest delegation in the NJCL (National Junior Classical League), they will continue the state’s excellence on a great scale.

1 Comment

One Response to “Satellite Latin Conquers at State”

1. Lynne King on May 1st, 2017 3:17 pm

Feeling very proud of my granddaughter, Taylor Rohleen. Not only running for Jr. Class Pres, but placing in the Latin competition also! Yay for you!!!

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

Senior Wills

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

An Ode to Seniors: Life Without You

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

Prom Reflections

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

As the School Year Winds Down…

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

News on Thirteen Reasons Why

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

The Fictitious Gender Throwdown

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

Scorps Sting Their Way to State

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

The Senate Took The Nuclear Option

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

Colorful Stick Figures by John Cacciatore

• Satellite Latin Conquers at State

Archive

Battle of the Bash

Satellite Latin Conquers at State