Rising Star at Satellite Qualifies for World Championship

Chelsea Basford Crushes Opposition in Omaha, Nebraska

Photo Credit Yearbook Staff

Photo Credit Yearbook Staff

Ashley Basford

As summer begins to dwindle down and sports began to start practicing for their upcoming seasons, senior Chelsea Basford jumped the gun and competed in National Triathlon in Omaha, Nebraska and left competition breathless after her outstanding finish at the race on August 12th, 2017. She placed 2nd in her age group with a time of 2:29.08 for a 1.5 km swim, 40.1 km bike, and a 10.4 km run. By placing 2nd in her age group, she automatically qualified for the World competition at Gold Coast, Australia in 2018 and earned a Team USA uniform. A triathlon is made up of 3 sports; Swim, Bike, and Run. To compete in one of these races, the athlete must be prepared to endure physical and mental tests throughout the length of the race. For the 1.5 km swim, she swam a time of 24:13 and her transition time was 2:45. The transition time is the time that it takes an athlete to change their shoes, clothes, get their bike, etc, and it is vital that these transitions are brisk because they count for your overall time. The next portion of the race was approximately 40.1 km in which she biked a time of 1:15.03 and her transition to the run was 1:47 to her final leg of the race, the run. The 10k run is different from any high school cross country race because it is about 6.2 miles, therefore, speed and endurance are both at play. She was placed 3rd when she went into the run, meaning, if she wanted to go to Worlds, she was going to have to pick up the pace and pass the next girl. Although she was not aware of her placement at the time, she made the decision to run her heart out and finished with an incredible time of 45:21 after 2 legs of the race passing the 2nd girl and earned her spot to Australia. Three main components to be able to complete this race include endurance, training, and proper hydration. Some tips for competing in a triathlon are to train and run/bike/swim the necessary distance to build up your endurance and hydrate by drinking either water, Gatorade, scratch(hydrating drink), or coconut water.

Swim: From an early age of 5, Basford was on the swim team, and even as a child, she out swam most of her fellow racers at her age. In 2009, she moved to Florida and joined the Breakers swim club. Basford’s first ever triathlon was the Publix Family Fitness Challenge in 2009 and she had to swim 600 meters, bike 10 miles, and run 3.1 miles. She took 4 years off of swimming and started up again in 10th grade at Satellite. Over the summer, she has improved drastically  by training with ROCOA swim team. ROCOA is coached by Coach Mitzi Kremer and Coach Chris. Coach Mitzi Kremer competed in the Olympics in Seoul in 1988. Mitzi also competed in the 100 meter freestyle and the 200 meter freestyle and placed 12th and 6th in those events. She won a bronze medal in the 4x100m freestyle relay and is an overall great swimmer who is helping Basford train to prepare for Australia and her swimming season.  

Bike: Chelsea began biking this past year when my Dad asked her if she was interested in competing in a Triathlon with him over the summer. She was already doing 2/3rds of the event, so she decided to add in the final component. Basford has been training daily biking up to 40 miles.

Run: Chelsea Basford began running in 5th grade at Manatee Elementary on the cross country team that met twice a week. Her first race training with the team was on June 25th, 2011, she placed first in her age group with a time of 22:42.2 at 11 years old which marked the beginning for an incredible athlete to emerge. From there, she joined Set Goals Not Limits running camp and met her future Coach, Doug Butler. Basford ran for Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy until 9th grade with Coach Doug Butler running on 2 State winning teams. In 2014, she placed 33rd overall in the State meet with a time of 19:53.45 for the 5k and wa number 6 on Varsity. In 2015, she placed 34th overall with a time of 20:12.30 for the 5k and was number 7 on Varsity. As a junior, Chelsea was injured with a hip problem, but she did not let her injury stop her from competing. She placed 67th overall with a time of 20:37.95. In the 2017 cross country season, Basford is hopeful for another healthy year of competing at the Varsity level.

Catching up with Satellite’s past triathletes: Kaitlin Donner, former Satellite High School student, also competes in triathlons and is know around the world for her skills in this field. She recently competed in the 2017 Yucatan ITU Triathlon World Cup {Swim 750 m (1 lap); Bike 20 km (4 laps); Run 5 km (2 laps)} and placed 11th overall with a time of 01:02:15. Donner has competed in a triathlon in almost every continent competing in the elite women’s races. She was won 4 races, been on the podium 15 times and is ranked 60th in the Olympic rankings. Like Basford, Donner began her athletic career early by joining a swim team at age 8. In her time at Satellite High School, Donner was on 2 State Championship teams for swimming and cross country. Donner is an amazing athlete and continues to thrive in her sport today and one day is hopeful to be on an Olympic team.

A triathlon is NOT an easy sport. It tests your physical strength as well as your mental strength and takes months of preparation. Not many people are willing to give the time needed to prepare for this strenuous race. Chelsea Basford is an extreme competitor, training hours each day, before and after school, to reach her max physical strength. Each leg of the race is very important and you must be good at all of them to have a chance competing for this opportunity to go to Australia. Basford is prepared for the challenges that lie ahead of her and is ready to take on the competition in Gold Coast, Australia in 2018.

1 Comment

One Response to “Rising Star at Satellite Qualifies for World Championship”

1. Trenton Blanchard on August 30th, 2017 7:45 pm

Telstar is back!

• Rising Star at Satellite Qualifies for World Championship

Student Life

Top 5 Apps for Studying

Student Life

How to: Decorate Your Car for Christmas

Sports

College Football Finale

Student Life

Telstar Tries: Homemade Face Masks

Student Life

Which Rihanna Song Are You Based on Your Zodiac Sign?

Creative Media

What Disney Character Are You?

Student Life

Secrets to Successful Studying

Student Life

No Shave November

Student Life

December Festivities

Student Life

Christmas Gift Ideas (and Guidelines)