Cross Country Runs at FLRunners

Varsity girls prepare for race at starting line.

Photo Credit Amy Ballard

Photo Credit Amy Ballard

Ashley Basford, Sports

Last Saturday, the Satellite cross country team traveled to Lakeland, Florida to compete in the FLRunners meet at Holloway Park.  After Irma, Holloway park was a disaster and after having many meets canceled due to the hurricane, many teams needed this race to run 5 meets before the district, region, and state meets. It was crucial that the race remained. After hard efforts from the race director and the community, they were able to clean up the course in time for the race.  The first race of the day for Satellite was the women’s race of champions race at 7:50 am. The team carpooled to the race, which meant they had to leave their houses by at least 5 am to get to the race in time.

This race was packed with great teams including Montverde and Citrus Park Christian. Leading the girls was senior Chelsea Basford placing 33rd overall with a time of 20:25.43. Lana Rukab(11) and Marie Groppel(11) placed 38th and 42nd with times of 20:37 and 20:47. Brianna Basford(12) came in next with a time of 21:14 placing 57th. Julia Lavrador(9) came shortly after with a time of 21:20. To round up the top 7 varsity runners were Seniors Sara Towers and Ashley Basford placing 70th and 79th overall with times of 21:35 and 21:51. Gracie Perkins(11) placed 88th with a time of 22:06 and Xoe Bergman(11) placed 103 with a time of 22:31. Overall, the girls had a good race, but are hopeful for a better race next week at Great American.

The boys race of champions was not as competitive compared to the girls race of champions, but considering the circumstances, the boys ran an amazing race. The Satellite boys team was led by senior Charlie Dickinson followed by Nathaniel Basford(10) and Gabe Montague(9). Charlie ran a time of 16:40 placing 14th, Nathaniel ran a time of 16:41 placing 15th, and Gabe ran a time of 16:43 placing 17th. The boys ran in a pack throughout most of the race, and if they can get teammates Rahul Koshy(12) and Walker Hirsch(12) healthy and into the pack, they will have a shot to win the state title. Rahul Koshy ran a time of 17:17 placing 29th overall. Walker Hirsch came in next with a time of 17:44 placing 44th. The 6th and 7th runners were  Torin O’Brien(10) and Trenton Korte(12) who ran times of  17:48.87 and 18:00.08. John Padilla(12) placed 79th overall with a time of 18:15.20 and Colby Steger(10) placed 81st with a time of 18:15.39. The boys won the meet with 99 points with an average split of 17:01 and their times 1:03 apart from their first runner to their 5th runner.

The next race was the unseeded small school boys race in which 9 boys raced from the team. They placed 2nd overall as a team with an average time of 19:09. Luke Dickinson(10) placed 4th overall in the race. Kobe Thompson(11) ran a time of 18:50 placing 11th overall.  Walker Cummins(10) came in 3nd for the team with a time of 19:04.31. Chase Haight(11) placed 15th overall with a time of 19:08.21. Gabe Taylor(10) placed 16th with a time of 19:19.58, and Graeme Burns(9) ran 19:24.80 placing 18th. Tyler Harding(11) ran 19:32.22 and placed 20th. Emilio Zipf(12) placed 28th and Caleb Vanderberg(11) placed 44th with a time of 21:04.96. Davis Orr(9) placed 45th with a time of 21:09.10. The boys JV race was led by Alex Berube(11) who placed 104th overall with a time of 22:02.90. Robert McCarthey(9) placed 221 with a time of 24:18.56. Dominic DiPeppe(9) ran a time of 24:53.93 and placed 245th overall. Hitoshi Cullinan(11) placed 250 with a time of 25:15.74 and Luke Bowling(12) ran a time of 28:06.00.

In the girls unseeded small school race, Ciara Bernard(11) led the girls to 8th place as a team with a time of 23:20 placing 15th overall. Placing 27th, sophomore Kelly Orbell ran a time of 24:30. Audrey Ballard placed 37th overall with a time of 25:20.76.Placing 53rd, Nyssa Holmquist ran a time of 27:34.69. Caroline Craig placed 57th overall with a time of 27:59.61. Maddie Morelock ran a time of 30:54.48 and Mirabelle Gerts ran a time of 34:26.83. Stephanie Washburn placed 82nd overall with a time of 37:28.94. The girls average split was a 25:45.

Overall, FLRunners was a successful meet and the team can not wait for their next meet at Great American in Cary, North Carolina.