Crocs Attack Satellite Students with New Trend

Photo Credit WHEREYOUWENTPHOTOGRAPHY
Isabelle Combs(12) surrounded by her collection of Crocs.

Ashley Basford and Emilio Zipf

Crocs, otherwise known as the “ugly shoe”, have begun to make their mark on Satellite High School. Ranging in various different colors, students’ footwear has become an icon, but not all the students of Satellite High School fully agree on this new trend.

There are many different views on the new upcoming trend, some of which who are not fond of the unusual, rubber footwear. Senior Charlie Dickinson is firm on his beliefs that a shoe is ugly “if it’s from the brand Crocs”, while senior Isabelle Combs believes that a shoe is ugly “if it doesn’t have any pizazz like if there is no character behind it”. She loves crocs, because “they keep your feet warm surprisingly even though there are holes and they are pretty”. Having one pair of Crocs is one thing, but for Isabelle Combs, they are her life. After taking senior pictures with them, Isabelle is a “Croc wearer for life”,“[she] never bought a pair of Crocs for full price, but because [she is]a VIP member,[she] gets a lot special deals and discounts.” Some would say that she has an addiction or is a hoarder; however, she is not planning on stopping. The “owner” of the Croc trend is definitely Isabelle Combs, but senior Ashley Basford has a different opinion. “The Crocs starter is definitely Isabelle, but I no doubt started the ugly shoe trend that started the Croc trend” stated Basford, “I’m more dedicated to the chaco trend because Isabelle technically owns the Crocs trend.” Senior Charlie Dickinson agrees that the starter of the trend was “probably the infamous Isabelle Combs.” This leaves only one person to blame for the explosion of the “ugly” shoes around campus, Isabelle Combs.

Along with Charlie Dickinson, others such as sophomore Luke Dickinson, detest Croc wearing. Luke described Crocs as, “probably one of the worst things to happen to mankind”, and admitted, “just waking up in the morning knowing I have Crocs, would just tear me apart inside”. Luke’s distaste for the shoes equals his brother’s, who revealed his hatred for Crocs was because, “they’re just horrible”. Emilio Zipf, a senior, is also against them , and thinks Crocs are, “just trash”. People like Charlie Dickinson “think some people hate themselves” because they wear Crocs and Luke Dickinson,  has the same view but he “thinks it’s a way for attention for a select group of needy females.” Luke’s attitude towards Crocs is one of the most extreme. He stated, “to be honest I don’t know if I could live with myself if I put a pair of Crocs on my feet.”   The holes in the shoes are where everyone’s dignity comes out.

Crocs are constantly receiving hate from many people across the school, but that is not stopping people like Isabelle, Ashley, and many other supporters of the Croc trend from wearing them to school. “I hate that they get such a bad rap” states Combs,” I definitely get some negative comments on a daily basis, but I love them still.” Senior Sara Towers agreed that the new fad is causing some, “ hatred between everyone”. Ashley Basford only has one thing to say to these critics: “haters gonna hate”.

Although Crocs are mostly worn by the cross country team and swim team, Isabelle Combs says the trend is open to all, and she wouldn’t limit it just sports people, considering she wears Crocs with everyday outfits as well. The trend is continuing to grow, even fashionista Marie Groppel stated “currently I only own one pair, but I’m working on a collection.”

Which leaves only one question to ask, can anyone can rock the Croc?

1 Comment

One Response to “Crocs Attack Satellite Students with New Trend”

1. Joe on October 12th, 2017 1:35 pm

Buy some real shoes, no one wears Crocs™.

[Reply]

We encourage you to share your thoughts as they relate to the topic being discussed. We review and post comments according to the policy below. The views expressed in comments reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Telstar Staff or Satellite High School. We want to publish your comments, but we expect comments generally to be courteous. To that end, we have established the following policy. We reserve the discretion not to post comments that: contain obscene, indecent, or profane language; contain threats or defamatory statements; contain hate speech directed at race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, or disability; or promote or endorse services or products. To protect your privacy, please do not include information that identifies you (e.g., an e-mail address or phone number) in the text of your comment.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Crocs Attack Satellite Students with New Trend

Sports

Senior Scorps Commit to College

Sports

A True Homecoming Game

Sports

Lady Scorp Swimmers Sting All Dual Meets

Sports

Satellite Cross Country Races to North Carolina

Satellite Singers’ Fall Concert Kicks off the Year

Sports

Success at Cape Coast Conference for Swim and Dive Team

Satellite’s Instrumental Groups to Perform Annual “Bistro” Concert Friday

Sports

Cross Country Runs at FLRunners

Sports

Rising Star at Satellite Qualifies for World Championship

Rallying for the Reef