Success at Cape Coast Conference for Swim and Dive Team

Girls and Boys Place 2nd and 5th Respectively

Kira Downs

Satellite High School’s diving and swimming teams competed in Cape Coast Conference on Thursday, October 6th and Friday, October 7th respectively. The girls placed 2nd and boys placed 5th, supplemented by outstanding individual and relay performances.

The girls swimming Scorps entered Cape Coast Conference fresh off of an undefeated regular season, and did not disappoint at the high stakes meet. Swimmers Cassidy McKinnon (11), captain Sarah Stukey (12), Chelsea Basford (12), Andie Wolfman (11), captain Kira Downs (12), Becca Yaunches (12), Gabby Gillespie (9), and Brooke Boddy (10) all placed in the top ten in their individual events, and several swimmers set personal records. However, some of the most exciting races of the day were the relays. Basford, McKinnon, Wolfman, and Stukey sought to maintain their undefeated record in both the 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay, and although both relays were significantly faster than their regular season times, they were out touched by less than a second by Conference champs Titusville in both races. The 200 freestyle relay was similarly thrilling, with Yaunches, Gillespie, Liana van Woesik (10), and Caitlin Bailey (10) placing 7th and closely beating Viera. The girls ultimately took second to Titusville by a 29 point margin; one of Satellite’s highest scorings in recent years, and a significant improvement upon their 4th place finish in 2016.

Satellite’s boys team also turned out incredible results after their 8-1 season. Top ten finishers in individual events included Eric Davidson (11), captain Collin Dunton (12), Sebastian Sweet (12), and captain Chane Cohee (12.) The meet started strongly with Davidson, Cohee, Hayden Cummins (11), and Dunton leading the 200 medley relay to a 6th place finish. The 200 freestyle relay (Ethan Garrison (12), Rylan Andrews (9), Lukas Moore (12), Jacob Haight (10) and 400 freestyle relay (Davidson, Cohee,  Sweet, Dunton,) both scored substantial points to aid the boys’ high overall placement, placing 7th and 5th respectively. In 2016, Satellite boys placed 7th overall, and captain Collin Dunton is “very happy” with this years 5th place finish. “With a little more hard work, we can place even higher at Districts,” Dunton states.

Essential to the girls’ points were the tireless efforts of divers Kasey Crooks (12), Morgan Meehan (10), and Victoria Ruiz (10.) In the 1-meter diving, Crooks took 7th, Meehan took 11th, and Ruiz took 13th; cumulatively, the divers scored 22 points for the team. In diving alone, Satellite girls placed 2nd, refusing to be deterred by the rain. “It was crazy weather conditions, but we pulled through,” reflects Crooks.

Where to now? Satellite’s swim and dive team will be heading to District Championships on October 20th at Indian River State College, and hope to exceed expectations by taking home new district titles. Basford predicts that “[the girls team] has a shot to be district champs, but everyone has to be on their A-game,” as they will once again be facing Titusville. McKinnon believes that there is “an excellent chance the team will send over half of its district swimmers to Regional Championships.” Coach Salmon concurs with this positive outlook, stating that “[the swimmers] will train hard this week for Districts, but keep their eyes on Regionals. We have lots of depth this year throughout both teams that will help us score as high as possible.”