Satellite’s Instrumental Groups to Perform Annual “Bistro” Concert Friday

Satellite's Wind Ensemble performs at the 2016 Bistro concert. Photo credit: John Kraus

John Kraus, Staff

Satellite High School’s musical groups will perform at 7:00 P.M. this Friday in Satellite’s auditorium. This annual performance, “Bistro,” is the school’s first instrumental music concert of the year.

The nearly two-and-a-half-hour concert is the only opportunity this year to see all of Satellite’s instrumental groups perform in one night.

“Bistro is a non-stop musical experience featuring all of the Satellite High School orchestras: bands, and jazz bands, in addition to many small chamber ensembles,” details Satellite Instrumental Music Director Mr. Simons. “For this concert, every instrumental musician plays and there’s no breaks for set changes or for announcements; it is just continuous music from start to finish.”

Freshman musicians are performing in their first music concert at Satellite, including David Orr: “I play the viola; [and have been] for five years now. It’s a lot more fun [at Satellite]. The level of the music we play is almost professional. Also, the students here are really helpful, and the teachers are a lot of fun; [they] push us to do our best.”

Other students are nearing the end of the Satellite music careers, including senior Falon Gordon, who is a flute player in two of Satellite’s premier groups: Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Orchestra. “Playing in our final Bistro concert is bittersweet. I’ve enjoyed my four years in the Satellite Instrumental Music Program immensely. We’re a big family that works together well and makes great music.”

After the concert, Satellite music students, parents, and attendees plan to gather around and eat outside the auditorium–making the term “bistro,” which means “small restaurant,” live up to its name. “It’s an incredibly exciting event; all parents and students are welcome. There are light refreshments [outside the theater] after the concert,” said Simons.

Satellite’s music program invites you to attend Bistro at 7:00 P.M. this Friday for a great night of exhilarating music, food, and fun! “Come and see why Satellite High School is nationally recognized in the performing arts,” adds Instrumental Music Director Mr. Phillips.