Satellite Singers’ Fall Concert Kicks off the Year

Tentones members get ready to sing their favorite arrangement,

Tentones members get ready to sing their favorite arrangement, "Drunken Sailor".

Photo Credit Ken Hazlett

Photo Credit Ken Hazlett

Kelly Hazlett, Staff

Fall The Satellite High School choral department sang their hearts out at the fall concert on Tuesday, October 10th in the Satellite auditorium.

The fall concert is the choral department’s first performance of the year, featuring both DeLaura Middle School and Satellite High School. The concert began with Satellite singers surrounding a packed audience, singing the “Alma Mater”. The DeLaura choir followed this performance with a few arrangements. Tentones member Sara Malmquist, 12, was excited to share the stage with DeLaura, as DeLaura’s participation makes it “more of a community event”.

Led by Mr. Liscum, each of Satellite’s four choral groups followed DeLaura, singing 2-3 arrangements. The groups have been working on the pieces since the beginning of school. Liscum feels that the concert “provides a good starting point,” and a chance to grow within each choral group.

A lot of preparation and hard work goes into each group’s performance. To prepare for the concert, singers like Reid Norris, 10, have been  studying their music and attending additional rehearsals outside of school in order to ensure success. Satellite singers are passionate about what they do and are committed to the department. “I love the group [because] everyone loves to be here,” Sara Malmquist reflected.

In between choral groups, soloists performed. Each solo singer prepared a piece, auditioned it for Mr. Liscum, and performed it. One soloist, Kamryn Palmer, sang “Blue” by LeAnn Rimes. Reid Norris loved the incorporation of solos into the program, as they enhance the experience. “Last year, at the spring concert […] I cried at every solo,” Reid Norris recollected.

Out of the Blue, one of the four choral groups, not only sang but also danced to“Sweet Talkin’ Guy” choreographed by Kat Tavares. Tentones followed the dance and wrapped up the hour and a half performance after singing three songs. Tentones members Malmquist and Norris agree that singing “Drunken Sailor” was their favorite arrangement because “it’s just really fun to sing”.