Lady Scorp Swimmers Sting All Dual Meets

All+smiles+for+Cassidy+McKinnon+%2811%29%2C+Taylor+Rohleen+%2811%29%2C+Kira+Downs+%2812%29%2C+and+Clara+Lavrador+%2811%29+during+the+final+swim+meet+against+Palm+Bay.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

All smiles for Cassidy McKinnon (11), Taylor Rohleen (11), Kira Downs (12), and Clara Lavrador (11) during the final swim meet against Palm Bay.

Photo Credit Cheryl Cohee

Photo Credit Cheryl Cohee

Photo Credit Cheryl Cohee

Taylor Rohleen, Section Editor

The Lady Scorps Swim Team remained undefeated in every dual meet swam this season, due to their depth.

“In the four years I’ve swam for Satellite [High School], I haven’t seen depth like this on the girls team,” exclaims Kira Downs, SHS Swimming and Diving Team Captain.

Until this year, the team has not consistently triumphed on the pool deck. This is the Lady Scorps’ first undefeated season in a long time, which presents the question, how exactly was this accomplished?

Head Coach Salmon credits their success to “[the team’s] leadership, which sets the vision.” Under the leadership of Captains Chane Cohee and Kira Downs, and co-Captains Collin Dunton and Sarah Stukey, the Lady Scorps had a noteworthy season.

“We have some truly amazing swimmers,” opines junior Cassidy McKinnon. She attributes this to the influx of athletes from transferring high schools or middle schools, such as senior Becca Yaunches,  junior Andie Wolfman, freshman Ashley Buxton, freshman Allison Gornto, and freshman Gabby Gillespie. These swimmers, along with the returning teammates, created a competitive lineup that “kept improving as we progressed through the meets,” adds McKinnon. Co-Captain Collin Dunton agrees, stating that the “strong, diverse skill set for each event has given them a good balance to score in each and every heat.” This depth served fundamental to the team: Placing in not only 1st place, but 2nd-5th places, guarantees more points and thus a higher chance to winning.

This season, the Lady Scorps have proven to carry more depth in their team than their male counterparts. Dunton asserts, “The guys’ team, on the other hand, isn’t quite as diverse as last year, so there are a few events in which we have lost out on points. Yet, the effort in each race has been pretty impressive, regardless.”

This omnipresent perseverance has carried the women’s team to victory after victory. Simply put, “they train hard to swim fast,” affirms Coach Salmon. The Swim Team totals 7.5 hours of practice every week, with practices focusing on stroke work, building strength and speed, and uniting the swimmers into a coherent team. Every practice has paid off: “The girls team has been very competitive this year,” confirms Dunton. In nearly each dual meet, the Lady Scorps have won with a consistent scoring of 100+ points.

This winning streak, however, was threatened in the meet against Viera: Described as “one of the best meets this season” by Dunton, the Viera meet was remarkable: Similarly to SHS students, many of VHS’s swimmers and divers train on club teams, often the same teams as SHS students. This resulted in more competition, because many of the athletes were of similar ability. Plus, Viera had a few standout, female athletes—one being Sarah Rousseau, the state titleholder for women’s diving in the Class 4A FHSAA State Championship. Rousseau has been training since the age of seven and travels to the YMCA Aquatic Center in Orlando to train. Despite the competition, SHS Senior Kasey Crooks came in 2nd, in turn aiding the team well. The points earned by diving are crucial to a win, as not having any male divers at this meet hurt the boys’ team exponentially. Nevertheless, both teams won, with girls scoring 114-72  and boys scoring 96-87, respectively. To Dunton, this victory was “definitely a highlight of the season.”

Looking forward, in Dunton’s eyes, the future of the Lady Scorps is such:

“The team has remained relatively consistent throughout the years I’ve been on it. Older swimmers graduate and the younger ones fill in, but this year there will be 18 seniors graduating, which is probably the most since I’ve been on the team. Yet, there are some promising younger swimmers, so I’d hope that the team remains strong.”

This triumphant end for the Lady Scorp’s dual meet season leaves auspicion for the upcoming championship meets and the 2018-19 season. As the seniors end their last season, Downs reflects that “not only the scoring, but also the entire team environment, will be affected; however, [she is] confident that [the] juniors will have incredible leadership next year and foster a similar level of success among the sophomores and freshmen.”

The future is bright for the succeeding seasons to come, as not only the Lady Scorps, but the entire team, will rise to the stars.

Photo Credit Karen Davidson
Lady Scorps stretching before the in-pool warmup.

Photo Credit Cheryl Cohee
Despite both teams not remaining undefeated, all Scorp swimmers stung the competition.