Brevard Zoo

Ashley Basford and Emilio Zipf

In Brevard county there are many different things to do in the environment from jogging at Wickham park to fishing at Sebastian Inlet; however, the most popular attraction in the Brevard Zoo. If you have not visited the Brevard Zoo, you are going to want to make your way there because it’s an experience of a lifetime and the Brevard zoo is open from 9:30 to 5:00 daily.

From large animals like Giraffes to spider monkeys, the zoo is an attraction you will want to visit. They have five main trails leading to different areas with animals including the jungle, a kids area/ petting zoo, African animals, Australian animals, and the rain forest animals. Each area has places where you can interact with animals. To learn more about the animals that inhabit Brevard zoo, visit this link.The have a bird feeding area with a variety of species including parrots as well as toucans. They remodeled the Australian trail making it possible to walk in the enclosure with the kangaroos for no additional price! Recently, some of the Satellite cross country team visited the zoo and they rate their experience as a 10 out of 10. The Brevard zoo also has a train that drives around the backside of the giraffe enclosure and shows the variety of animals they have.

The holidays can be difficult with all of your cousins, second-cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles, but a good way to spend your time is outside in the environment at the zoo. The Brevard Zoo also offers the Treetop Trek which includes obstacles, rope swings, and heights to give you the experience of feeling like a monkey! It even travels over some of the zoo giving you a glimpse of some of the animals. If you aren’t as coordinated they have zip line only, beginner, or Lil Trekkers for your younger siblings, but if you’re feeling up to the challenge, the Treetop Trek offers challenge reloaded and the black diamond course that includes 41 elements and 14 zip lines.

If you have younger siblings, you might want to check out the Paws On area. It has a swimming pool with manatees and other sculptures, a petting zoo, discovery zone that has a variety of reptiles, and a playground. It is the perfect area to relax and learn about different species that inhabit our world!

At the  Brevard zoo there are many volunteer opportunities including the zoo teen program, which can be applied for every year in October if you are 16 years old or younger. Zoo Teens usually set up activities and games for the public, assist with conservation outreach, and help with summer and winter zoo camps for kids. Those older than 16 can apply for adult volunteer opportunities. Adult volunteers also interact with the public, but also have greater opportunities to work with animals, and other behind the scenes activities. Applications for both programs are online at the Brevard Zoo volunteer page, applying requires an interview, along with training if accepted. Teen volunteers must volunteer once a month, while adult volunteers can have a more flexible schedule. The Brevard Zoo is always in need of more volunteers, and it is a rewarding way to get service hours for Bright Futures, so consider applying next year.

General admission to the zoo costs $19.95 for adults, $18.95 for seniors, and $14.95 for children aged 4-11. For more information on memberships visit this link.

You should definitely visit the zoo sometime soon because it is an awesome experience!

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Brevard Zoo”

1. Thorsten Stuart on November 14th, 2017 12:12 pm

The Zoo is a really good place to go if you are in the mood.

2. Brian Stawarz on November 14th, 2017 12:20 pm

The zoo seems like such a cool place!!! It seems like a bunch of fun.

3. olivia whitley on November 14th, 2017 12:22 pm

i think that it says the zoo very well and what there is to do at the zoo. it is a nice place and its fun to go to.

4. Esme Valdez on November 14th, 2017 12:30 pm

I agree the zoo is a really nice place to spend time with family. My family and I recently went to the zoo and we enjoyed it. The animals are very active and looks very comfortable. I liked the petting zoo with the goats, it took my father forever to get out of there because he loves them so much! Overall, I think everyone should at least go to zoo once.

5. Mackenzie White on November 14th, 2017 12:36 pm

I really like this article, it helped me because I am looking to volunteer at a place that I will like. Thanks to this article i may volunteer at the zoo.

6. Sydney moss on November 14th, 2017 6:44 pm

I think this might be the zoo i am going to for my birthday. it sounds super fun

7. Hudson McKee on November 15th, 2017 8:54 am

I really enjoyed the article, and the contents, but i felt it was almost unplanned, like a friend telling me about, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but i felt it could benefit from a bit more structure. 🙂

8. Taylor Falcone on November 15th, 2017 9:33 am

The Brevard Zoo is a fun place to spend time with your family and friends. Being able to interact with animals is an amazing experience!

9. Niamh Trotter on November 15th, 2017 3:57 pm

The zoo seems like a nice place to spend an afternoon, and the included links were helpful!

10. Patrick Coddington on November 15th, 2017 7:25 pm

This is helpful I will use this when I volunteer for a job like this.

11. Lauren Posen on November 16th, 2017 9:15 am

This was a great article. The zoo is a great place to visit if you want a good time. I didn’t know about all the volunteer opportunities, but now i will have to check them out. Great job on including a lot of information not only about the animals but times and prices

12. Alyssa Pascoe on November 16th, 2017 10:02 am

I really liked this article because it had great information about the zoo such as the things you can do there. Also I had never heard of a zoo teen before and I thought that it was really interesting.

13. Alexander Acang on November 16th, 2017 8:25 pm

This article puts the zoo in a great light and I’ll consider volunteering there.

Brevard Zoo