Cross Country Stings the Competition at State

Boys team poses with runner-up trophy.

Boys team poses with runner-up trophy.

Photo Credit Rula Rukab

Photo Credit Rula Rukab

Boys team poses with runner-up trophy.

Ashley Basford and Emilio Zipf

On Friday November 10th, the Satellite cross country team traveled to Tallahassee for the state cross country meet Saturday morning. The varsity runners, as a tradition, meet at 6:00 am and run an easy 3 miles together before the race the following morning. After running, the top 8 runners went to Friendly’s for breakfast before the bus pulled out from the school at 8:00 am.

The girls 2A race began at apportionately 7:55 am. The predicted champions of the race shifted between Bolles High School and Pinecrest High School throughout the season; therefore, being a public school among private schools, the girls were not favored to win. All the teams that did beat the Satellite girls teams included Pinecrest placing first, Bolles placing 2nd, Montverde placing 3rd, and Trinity Prep placing 4th, which are all private schools. The girls placed 5th overall out of 24 teams in the 2A state meet, which is arguably the hardest classification. Eleven girls in the meet ran under 19:00 minutes for the 5k which is considered elite performances and 43 out of 174 ran under 20:00 minutes for the 5k. The top 8 for girls consisted of Ashley Basford(12), Brianna Basford(12), Chelsea Basford(12), Sara Towers(12), Lana Rukab(11), Marie Groppel(11), Gracie Perkins(11), and Julia Lavrador(9). Although only 7 girls are allowed to race, being number 8 on the team is a very important role. Junior Lana Rukab led the girls with a season personal record of 19:38. Senior Chelsea Basford followed with a time of 20:11. Junior Marie Groppel placed 3rd on the team with a time of 20:18 placing 54th in the race. Seniors Sara Towers and Ashley Basford closed the top 5 for Satellite with times of 20:28 and 20:40 placing 60th and 69th. Senior Brianna Basford followed close behind placing 71 with a time of 20:46. The final runner for Satellite was freshman Julia Lavrador placing 82nd with a time of 20:54. The top 7 runners all ran under 21:00 minutes ending their 2017 cross country season.

The Boys 2A race began at 8:45 with some of the best teams in the state competing for a state championship. Bolles High School were heavy favorites, with the best times in the state, but the next three teams, Satellite, Trinity Prep, and Bishop Kenny were all very close. All three teams would battle for second place or a potential upset if Bolles were to collapse. However, Bolles held strong throughout the entire race, going out very quick through the first mile, taking the team title by 75 points. Their top runner, Charles Hicks, succeeded in winning the race individually with a time of 15:16. The Scorpions took home a second place team title edging out Trinity Prep by 6 points and Bishop Kenny by 15 points. Gabe Montague, a freshman, had a breakout race, finishing with a personal best of 16:24, placing 19th overall. Seniors Charlie Dickinson, Walker Hirsch, and Rahul Koshy followed, finishing at 16:41 in 25th place, 16:43 in 27th place, and 16:44 in 28th place. The next three runners to finish were all sophomores; Colby Steger ran 17:09 for 58th place, Luke Dickinson finished in 17:28 for 73rd place, and Nathaniel Basford completed the race in 17:30 for 74th place. The Satellite boys team was disappointed the upset could not be achieved, but glad they beat Trinity Prep and Bishop Kenny in a tight race and finished as the best public school.

For seniors, the state meet can be filled with mixed emotions from being happy to finally be done racing 5ks to wishing you just had one more season. For the non-seniors, they have the 2018 cross country season to look forward to. If you want to join a sport, cross country is open to everyone!

Photo Credit Rula Rukab
Boys team poses with runner-up trophy.

Photo Credit Rula Rukab
Varsity teams pose together after race.

Photo Credit Rula Rukab
The whole cross country team plus alumni pose for a picture post race.

Photo Credit Karen Groppel
After the race, the girls varsity painted themselves in support of the boys varsity as they race.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Cross Country Stings the Competition at State”

1. Brayden Green on November 14th, 2017 12:22 pm

I think it is so cool that satellite got runner up.

2. tracy tucker on November 14th, 2017 12:26 pm

I’m happy coach butler good lead us to victory!

3. Coach Butler on November 14th, 2017 12:45 pm

Great Article Ms Basford and Mr Zipf!

4. Aseel Nafadi on November 14th, 2017 7:43 pm

Great job scorps and great article! Keep working hard and don’t give up!

5. Simone Basher on November 15th, 2017 9:52 am

Coach Butler definitely does a great job coaching and I’m proud of our Scorps(:

6. Cali on November 15th, 2017 9:56 am

I’m really happy we did good!

7. Ysabelle Rattray on November 15th, 2017 2:39 pm

I think that it is a great accomplishment for our boy’s cross country team to have taken home the title of first place this year! All the times that were listed that the boys had made were great and I know that I would never be able to make a good time like that. The girls also did a very good job, because even though they did not come in first place, they still managed to get in the top five, and out of 24 teams total, that is something for those girls to be proud of.

8. Alyssa A. on November 15th, 2017 5:23 pm

I’m proud that we got runner up! Yay (:

9. Brandon Neil on November 15th, 2017 6:07 pm

Even though Satellite could not get the upset, runner up is still a very good title to hold. Beating Trinity Prep and Bishop Kenny was a true confidence booster.

10. Kamryn Zehrer on November 15th, 2017 10:13 pm

I am very proud of our Scorps and happy that Coach Butler coached such an amazing team (:

11. Johan Rodriguez on November 15th, 2017 11:59 pm

I’m very happy for the Cross Country team making it to state and their ability to do something this amazing keep it up.

12. Lana Rukab on November 20th, 2017 2:22 pm

Can’t wait to run there next year!!!!! Had a great season with Coach and the team!!!!!!!

• Cross Country Stings the Competition at State

Sports

Recapping Satellite’s Year in Sports

Student Life

The Power Puff Showdown: 2018 Edition.

Student Life

Dear Me: Regarding Next Year

Creative Media

The Spark Lit by a Question

Sports

Scorpionettes Search for More Members

Weekly Links: Korea Edition

Creative Media

Telstar Tunes Volume 5

Sports

Satellite Track Makes History

Creative Media

The Art of FX Makeup

Student Life

Powder Puff