Race into the Holiday Season

Satellite+runners+compete+in+a+relay+race.+
Satellite runners compete in a relay race.

Photo Credit Ashley Basford

Photo Credit Ashley Basford

Ashley Basford, Staff

Although running a race does not seem like an ideal thing to do on a holiday, many people in Brevard county have resorted to running their stresses out via racing. Running Zone hosts many races each year that help bring the community together and promote positive lifestyles. The holidays can be a stressful time; a good way to relieve your stress and prepare for the large intakes of food is the annual Turkey Trot! At the Turkey Trot this year, Running Zone will provide a light breakfast after the race, a new pumpkin pie challenge, and stuffed turkey awards. Some of you may be wondering, what is a pumpkin pie challenge? Running Zone will have 300 pumpkin pies based on the time you finish in, for example, if you run under 28:00 minutes for the 5k which is a 9:00 minute pace, you will receive your very own pumpkin pie and for the 10k you have to run under 50:00 minutes to receive a pumpkin pie.

If you are interested in racing these races for fun, or for a good time, here is a list of the upcoming races in the community in 2017.

Name When Where Time Mileage
Space Coast Lightfest November 19th, 2017 Wickham Park, Melbourne, FL 6:00 pm 5k(3.1 miles)
Space Coast Turkey Trot November 23rd, 2017 Front Street Civic Center, Melbourne Florida 7:30 am 5k(3.1 miles) &10k (6.2 miles)
46th Annual Space Coast Marathon & Half Marathon November 26th, 2017 City of Cocoa, Cocoa FL 6:00 am Marathon(26.2 miles) & Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
Run for the Future December 2nd, 2017 Viera High School Stadium, Viera FL 4:00 pm 5k(3.1 miles)
22nd Annual Reindeer Run/Walk December 9th, 2017 Cherie Down Park, Cape Canaveral Florida 8:00 am 5k(3.1 miles)
Christmas Fit-Mas December 9th, 2017 Viera Regional Park, Viera FL 6:00 pm 3k(1.86 miles)
Jingle Bell 2 miler December 16th, 2017 Satellite Beach Library, Satellite Beach FL   5:45 pm 2 miles
Run Run Santa 1 miler December 23rd, 2017 Calvary Chapel Viera, Viera FL 7:30 am 1 mile

Races are not only for competitive runners, but also for people who want to walk/jog with their family and friends. If you need volunteer hours, Running Zone is always in need of volunteers to help out with water stations, be course marshals, or hand out race packets. For more information visit this link. Come get involved with the community and have a good time!

About the Writer
Ashley Basford, Section Editor
I’m Ashley Basford and I am a senior at Satellite High School. I usually write sports articles which are mostly on cross country or track and sometimes crocs because they are the best invention on the planet. On my free time, I run, wear Crocs/Chacos, watch the office, and of course look at animal memes...