Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

American+flags+along+the+grass.+
American flags along the grass.

American flags along the grass.

Photo Credit Photo credit: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=211418&picture=american-flag

American flags along the grass.

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Last week, Satellite Beach residents celebrated local military heroes on Veterans Day, November 11th. This day was especially powerful for many Satellite students whose family members served in various branches of the United States military.

Senior Sarah Stukey’s father served in the United States Air Force, soon to be followed by her older brother and former Satellite student Joey Stukey, who is graduating from the United States Air Force Academy in spring 2018. Coming from a military family, Stukey has a special appreciation for the significance of this national holiday and the sacrifices veterans have made for the country. “Veterans Day is especially important to me because we are constantly surrounded by people who have served, especially living so close to an Air Force Base,” Stukey reflects. “A lot of the time we forget that people we see every day may have risked their lives to secure the freedoms we so often take for granted.”

This sentiment is shared by senior Liz Hattal, whose father served in the Air Force for 23 years. She emphasizes the importance of the holiday by stating that “Veterans Day is a chance for my family to celebrate all the sacrifices my dad made for us.” Veterans Day provides an excellent opportunity for children of veterans, like Liz,  to truly appreciate the vital contributions made by their parents to both their family and their country through their service.

These veterans and more were honored at Thursday night’s football game, in which ROTC organized a commemorative celebration of their service. Brevard Public Schools also gave a three day weekend, which allowed students to spend time with their family and recognize Veterans Day in their own personal way. On the day itself, Stukey asserts “I made sure to spend time with my family and thank all the people in my life who have served.”

Veterans Day is an important holiday for everyone to recognize and celebrate, but holds special significance for those Satellite students who share a close familial relationship with a veteran, active service member, or future military participant.

About the Writer
Kira Downs, Section Editor

I’m Kira Downs, a 12th grade Telstar Writer. I am a lover of books, coffee, and striped shirts. If you’re wondering who smells like chlorine in your...

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Scorps Honor Veteran Parents”

1. Joshua Santiago on November 16th, 2017 4:12 pm

I think it is amazing that our school is involved in everything people do in the U.S. Veterans day is also important to me because my mom is a veteran is served our country for a while.

2. Caleb Rose on November 16th, 2017 4:48 pm

It’s really great that our community is so respectful of our veterans. Being respectful of our living and deceased relatives and friends is very important because it lets our new generation know what they have done, and how important it was. We mustn’t respect and honor the living, but also celebrate the dead soldiers who fought for us.

3. Kate on November 16th, 2017 8:37 pm

I think its great that there are so many families that have veterans. Great article!

4. Daniel Minogue on November 16th, 2017 9:46 pm

I find it truly amazing that the students at Satellite can respect and honor the individuals that have fought so bravely for this wonderful country.

5. Calder Holthaus on November 17th, 2017 9:14 am

I read this article because my mom and dad were both in the military for 20 years. I feel a sense of pride reading this article and others have gone through things I have to. Happy Veterans Day.

6. Rebecca Piriz on November 19th, 2017 11:55 am

That was such a great day! I love what our town did for all our vetrans. I love being able to show how much we respect our vetrans

7. Rowan Klukosky on November 20th, 2017 7:36 am

I think it is amazing satellite dedicates a night to honor our veterans and that so many students are involved.

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Student Life

Diabetes Awareness Month

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

To the Polls!

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Student Life

ASMR

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Founders’ Day Celebration Recap

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Sports

Satellite Swim and Dive Dominates at Districts

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Red Tide Reaches Brevard County

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Student Life

Spooky Baskets

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Student Life

Fall Feels: A Playlist

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

What I Learned throughout My High School Years

• Scorps Honor Veteran Parents

Student Life

Maintaining Long-Distance Friendships

Scorps Honor Veteran Parents