The Start of Basketball Season

The Varsity Basketball Team flexes up for the season.

Photo Credit Raeann Ubinas

Photo Credit Raeann Ubinas

Raeann Ubinas, Staff

Players are excited for the start of the basketball season, since fall arrived at Satellite High.

“Basketball is literally my favorite thing to do so I’m pretty excited for the start of the season.” states Harvey Harris, sophomore. “I just can’t wait to dunk on a game honestly, because, you know, I wanna hear the girls scream my name.” replies sophomore Gavin Fuentes.

All of the players that made the team have played before: “I have played basketball for about 2 years now.” Fuentes states. Harris agrees: “This will be my second year playing on an actual team.”

While some have experience, some have put in countless effort to make the team. “I’ve been putting in work [in] offseason to prepare.” Fuentes explains. “I literally practiced all summer and it paid off, because I made varsity. So, I’m pretty happy about that,” adds Harris. “I also played on last years team so I knew what I needed to work on to get better.”

Many of the members are excited to reunite with one another. “We’re all pretty close. I trust some of them with a lot of stuff so.” Harris says. “They’re my brothers,” Gavin then replies.

As all the players get excited and prepared for the season, managers must prepare too. “The job is pretty easy, but it’s just really time consuming. Every task we do takes a while,” explains Ashleigh Spanola, junior. Her and 3 other people are on the managing team. “Some practices we are really busy and some we’re not, it just depends on the day,” Spanola continues.

To be a manager on the team, there are certain responsibilities.

“You just have to be responsible and be flexible with your hours. Always be respectful to the coach, fellow managers, and of course all of the players.”

Spanola then explains the importance in bonding with the players. “[Through knowing] the players, it’s easier if you need to go up and talk to them about something personal or if you need to ask them for help, it just won’t be as awkward as if you don’t know them.”

Tasks for managers change depending on whether it’s practice or a game. “For games, we need to make sure that we greet the other team and show them to the lockers room,” Spanola states. “We have to make sure they have lockers, and we also have to make sure they players have enough water―and, of course, [we must] run the clock.” Games can be more work than practices. “We only have 4 managers now, so we all have to be able to make it to the game,” Spanola explains. “Since there are going to be double the players it can get kind of crazy. Also, there is going to be an audience so we have to be there to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

The first basketball game is Friday, the 17th, at home. “We are all pretty excited, because it’s going to be our first game in a while,” Harris says. “It’s going to be a red and white out game, so i’m pretty excited to show our colors,” Spanola replies. As a team, they all working together to be ready for the night. “It’s going to be good,” states Fuentes.

About the Contributor
Raeann Ubinas, Staff
My name is Raeann Ubinas. I’m a quiet person at first but if you get to know me, I talk a lot. Mainly about my adorable little dog or tv shows. I binge watch a lot of shows, thank god for Netflix because I don’t know what I would do without it.