No Shave November

Back to Article
Back to Article

No Shave November

Man with both a full beard and mustache.

Photo Credit Sean Stratton

Photo Credit Sean Stratton

Photo Credit Sean Stratton

Emilio Zipf, Staff

Around Thanksgiving, many Satellite students, teachers, and alumni not only remember what they are thankful for, but some take on the challenge of a month of no shaving. For the whole month of November they flaunt beards and mustaches, untouched by razor or scissors. Some who take on the challenge will grow impressive facial hair displays, while others will be lucky to sprout stubble. But why do they do it?

Growing out facial hair for a full month is not all fun and games. Not everyone can just sprout a full beard at will. Sophomore, Luke Dickinson, has never shaved in any November of his life, but didn’t grow facial hair until he was fourteen. He also has to deal with haters that say, according to him, “your mustache looks disgusting,” but, “when people insult my mustache, I can just be like it’s No Shave November,” he retorted. Senior Trenton Korte’s biggest challenge was drinking milk; he stated,”that milk ‘stache is always a problem.” Others like Michael Wilson, an alumni from Satellite High School, had little challenges during No Shave November, “because my facial hair grows pretty well.” Similarly sophomore Nikoli Miller, said that No Shave November had no challenges, because “the [real] challenge is shaving.”

Despite the difficulty, No Shave November participants still enjoy what they do each year. Trenton Korte enjoys “the amount of hair that grows awkwardly on my face.” Michael Wilson gets involved in the competitive aspect of No Shave November. He explains that, “seeing who can grow the most [hair] by the end of the month” is his favorite part. Nikoli Miller appreciates, “a chance to show off [his] beautiful mustache,” and “more or less just to support men’s health” during November. Luke Dickinson ignores the haters, and he is “pretty happy” that one “can stand like five feet away from me, and see that there is hair above my lip.” When hated on, he persists “that’s okay, it’s No Shave November, I’ll do what I do,” expressing the strong resolve one must have to complete a No Shave November, working towards the ultimate goals of growing majestic beards and mustaches.