How to: Decorate Your Car for Christmas

Sara+Malmquist+and+Kelly+Hazlett+posing+by+their+cars.+
Sara Malmquist and Kelly Hazlett posing by their cars.

Photo Credit Reed Harper

Photo Credit Reed Harper

Kelly Hazlett, Staff

With Christmas right around the corner, it’s common to see a car with a red nose and reindeer antlers attached to it. This typical combo costs about $10-15 depending on where it is purchased. However, when you think about it, that’s not a very good deal: all you’re getting is a cotton ball and some stuffed antlers that can easily fall off or be ruined in the rain!

Sara Malmquist and I figured there had to be a better and more original way to decorate a car with a $10-15 budget. So we set out on Christmas car decorating journey at the Dollar Tree to prove that car decorating can be a lot more extravagant and fun than cotton balls and antlers!

When we walked into the Dollar Tree, we were immediately greeted by a red, green, blue, silver, and gold explosion of Christmas items. Here is the decoration haul:

Kelly’s Red and Gold Christmas Sara’s Winter Wonderland
$1 Red and gold garland $1 Silver garland
$1 Penguin ornament $1 Large bell ornament
$1 Peppermint package $1 Blue snow gem stickers
$1 Red mug $1 Bell ornaments
$2 Tree skirts $1 Gift tag stickers
$1 Sticker bows $2 Chocolate treats
$1 Gold ornament garland $1 White and Blue Mug
$1 Mini stockings $1 Blue garland
$1 Fake poinsettia plant $1 Mini Christmas tree
$1 Foam gingerbread men $1 Silver ornament Garland

I decided to start decorating my car’s interior in the front seat. First I draped the red and gold garland across my dashboard. Then I hung the adorable penguin ornament around my rear view mirror. I also emptied a pack of peppermints into a red mug and placed it in my cup holder, which I thought would be a nice treat for passengers and I.

Then I moved onto the seats. I used the mini tree skirts as seat covers by wrapping them around the driver and passenger seats’ headrests. I also taped one gold bow on the back of each tree skirt to finish the look.

Then it was time to tackle the back seat! I decided to start with the gold ornament garland by lacing it through the two grab handles that are on both sides of the backseat. Then I attached the two mini stockings to the garland for an added element of Christmas. The back seat cup holder also features a fake poinsettia plant to tie the whole look together. 

Think that’s enough? Nope! I needed to add one last Christmas touch: the sparkly foam gingerbread men. I opened my trunk and decided to tape a few of the gingerbread to my trunk’s shade cover. 

Sara Malmquist’s decorating also started with garland, but she went a different direction with it: she spun it through her steering wheel! Sara then added the silver bell ornament to her rear view mirror.  Here’s where the front seat gets intricate: Sara utilized the blue snow stickers and attached them around her center console as well as her gear shift. She went on to hang the two mini silver bells on her air vents just beneath the console stickers. And because there weren’t already enough stickers, she added gift tag stickers with bows on top of them to the passenger’s dashboard!

Malmquist didn’t forget about food either! She emptied the two packs of chocolate treats into the white and blue mug that she purchased and placed the combo in her cup holder. The duo was then surrounded by part of the blue garland as well as a mini silver Christmas tree. 

With the leftover blue garland, Sara surrounded the driver and passenger seat head rests. Then she moved on to the back seat and strung the silver ornament garland through the two grab handles to complete this winter wonderland.

So what’s holding you back from getting in the holiday spirit? For just $10-15, you can decorate your car in a fun and original way! Go the red and gold route, winter wonderland route, or forge your own way!