College Football Finale

The College Football Playoff bracket on the phone of Sophomore Luke Dickinson.

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Emilio Zipf, Staff

The first major championship football games of the year will begin this weekend, starting with bowl games leading up to the 2018 College Football Playoffs on New Year’s Day and the national championship game the next week on January 8th in the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia.

This college football season has been a roller coaster of exciting upsets that has made the playoff selection committee’s job very difficult. After wins by Oklahoma(3) over Texas Christian University(11) in the Big 12 championship, Clemson(1) over Miami(7) in the ACC championship, and Georgia(6) over Auburn(2) in the SEC championship, the first three bids into the playoff were relatively clear. However, the fourth and final spot, was uncertain after Wisconsin’s(4) loss to Ohio State(8) in the Big Ten championship. The committee eventually chose Alabama(5) who is reeling from an unfortunately timed loss against rival Auburn in the Iron Bowl, leaving Ohio State to play University of Southern California in the Cotton Bowl. The committee revealed Sunday afternoon that Clemson will play Alabama, and Oklahoma will play Georgia in the first round of the 2018 College Football Playoffs.

The decision to include Alabama has been met with anger and questioning of the validity of the committee. Many believe that the committee does not want to break precedent, since Alabama has been selected for all four playoffs. In addition, Alabama did not play in the weekend leading into Sunday’s decision, while Ohio State annihilated undefeated Wisconsin to win on of the most difficult conferences. But, Ohio State’s disappointing loss against unranked Iowa by over 30 points, obviously weighed into the committee’s decision, as much as their 3-1 record against top 25 teams. In favor of Alabama was that they had one loss compared to Ohio State’s two losses, however, Alabama’s quality of play is in question, after losing to the only top ten team on their schedule.

Satellite students are divided over the committee’s controversial decision to pick Alabama over Ohio State. Senior John Hooke disapproved of Alabama being chosen over Ohio State. “I think the committee is trying anyway possible to get Alabama in”, he stated. In support of Ohio State he cited that “Ohio State had a tougher schedule” and “the only difficult team Alabama played they lost.” Sophomore Gabe Taylor favored Alabama over Ohio State, but wished that neither were included. “I want Penn State(9) in”, he admitted, ”I only want Alabama, because Penn State is rivals with Ohio State”. Junior Jayme Owen thought the committee’s decision was a “fairly good one”. He said the the committee had a “tough choice between Alabama and Ohio State, but considering Ohio State had one more loss…made Alabama’s weaker resume more appealing”. The only disapproval that he had was, “I’m not sure if I would’ve put Clemson at number 1”.  

The first playoff game will be the Rose Bowl in New Orleans’ Mercedes-Benz Superdome, January 1st at 5pm, with Georgia against Oklahoma, followed by the Sugar Bowl in Pasadena’s Rose Bowl at 8:45pm the same day, a showdown between Clemson and Alabama. The championship game is in Atlanta on Monday, January 8th. Watch the playoffs and other bowl games on CBS.

(1)-ranked first in the College Football Playoff Rankings before conference championships

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/index.aspx