Tay’s Top Ten

Photo Credit Lina Frohberg

Photo Credit Lina Frohberg

Taylor Rohleen

The following is a list of my current obsessions—people, places, or items which enthrall me. Enjoy.

1. Eau Gallie Arts District: The EGAD used to be quite upsetting. When I imagine visiting an arts district, I expect inspiration to flow through my veins; but, for many years, the EGAD was less creative and more dated. Thankfully, it now is a joy to explore: Some of my favorite spots in the district are Anaya Coffee and Standard Collective. Anaya is a picturesque shop which reminds me of Greece: The space is white and light, and cerulean blue art lines the walls. Standard Collective screen prints t-shirts with designs from local artists, sells clothing and accessories, and even is a venue for local musicians. It has an indie feel which invites you to stay awhile and sift through the merchandise. Another aspect I love about the EGAD is the general atmosphere: There murals upon murals in every nook! One of my favorites is this mural that is wedged in an alley on the southside of W Eau Gallie Blvd. Cars often pass by this mural while driving. As they do, it appears as though there are girls soaring through the sky, visually intriguing the masses in the comfort of a car.

Photo Credit Lina Frohberg
    The wall, to which I was referring, which features flying girls.

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen
    A latte from Anaya Coffee

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen
    A mirror selfie in the Standard Collective’s dressing room.

2. Apple News: A few weeks ago, I spotted Kira Downs, a dear friend and fellow Telstar Section Editor, scrolling through her Apple News App. Downs expressed her love of the app, and I downloaded it, as a result. I find that this app is a wonderful amalgamation of pop culture, your favorite newspapers, and generally interesting information; it keeps you up-to-date with what’s going on around the world. This is a notable feature to me, as I’m enrolled in AP U.S. Government and Politics and have been aiming to improve my political knowledge, especially considering America’s state at present.
  3. Fenty Beauty’s “Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer”: On a daily basis, the furthest my makeup routine extends is curling my eyelashes and brushing out my eyebrows—virtually nothing. However, sometimes I like to amp up my look, and what is a better way to do so than with Rihanna’s lip gloss. It is marketed to suit every skin tone, glossing all lips with high shine and universally flattering pigment. Not only does it live up to its expectations, but it is also cruelty-free and vegan.
  4. Staedtler’s “Triplus Fineliner Pens: These pens are addictive: They are well-pigmented, make your handwriting look clean, and are particularly useful for taking notes. I find that a 20-pack provides the ideal amalgamation of colors.

So. Many. Pens.

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen

5. SZA: I recently discovered SZA while my friend was manning the aux cord! I’m definitely late on the bandwagon, but I am so glad I’ve hopped on it: Her sultry sound lures in the listener. IMO, it’s great music for vibing. “All the Stars (feat. Kendrick Lamar)” is one of my favorites—it’s a bop.
  6. Thick Headbands: If I’m having a bad hair day or simply want to elevate a look, I’ll channel my inner hippie and throw on a fun headband. I adore the textures and color these add to a plain outfit.
  7. Free People’s “Far Out Round Sunnies”: Continuing onward with the hippie vibes, I’m nuts about these sunglasses: They complement every look, adding bohemian flair and a touch of gold. Plus, they photograph so well.

Photo Credit Chloe Frederick
    Loves no.6&7: thick headbands and the sunglasses.

8. Sitting in the Sauna: I love the release and warmth a sauna provides; it feels so cathartic to sit down and sweat it out. While in the sauna, I spend this time thinking and reflecting. You’re free from distractions (technology and heat do not mix), and the only noise is the sound of your breath and the hum of the heater—it is prime relaxation time.
  9. Evo Hemp’s “Hemp Protein Powder: Normally, after exercising and sitting in the beloved sauna, I’ll whip up a smoothie and add in this powder. It’s an excellent source of plant-based protein and infuses the smoothie with a nutty flavor. I quite enjoy the texture it adds, too—it breaks up the monotony of a blended smoothie.Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen
  10. Studying at Starbucks: The Eau Gallie & San Pedro Starbucks location opened last week, and it has been my go-to spot ever since. The community tables are the ideal location to meet with friends and socialize while doing homework, as it is far more enjoyable to accomplish work in good company. Moreover, this location features Nitro Cold Brew, a bonus obsession. I cannot emphasize how INCREDIBLE this is: Nitro Cold Brew is Starbucks’s Nariño 70 Cold Brew Coffee, infused with nitrogen as it leaves the tap. This produces a dreamy foam which sits upon a smooth base. You can drink this black with ease, as it is so naturally creamy that it effortlessly indulges the palate. Highly recommend.

Photo Credit Taylor Rohleen
    (left to right) Skylar LaLonde, Hitoshi Cullinan, and Matthew Burdick studying at Starbucks.

1 Comment

One Response to “Tay’s Top Ten”

1. Julia on January 18th, 2018 6:13 pm

Love this blog! Helped me discover parts of our barrier islands I’ve never seen or noticed during my two years of residency here. I can’t wait to go/ try these out!

• Tay’s Top Ten

The End is Nigh

• Tay’s Top Ten

Understand Their Pain (rant)

• Tay’s Top Ten

The Best Feminist TV Shows

• Tay’s Top Ten

It’s a Plane, it’s a Bird, No it’s an Evil Government-Created Black Helicopter

• Tay’s Top Ten

Why Highschoolers Are Hesitant to Use Their Voice

• Tay’s Top Ten

Parkland Student Activism Inspires Nation

• Tay’s Top Ten

Top 10 Favorite Disney Movies

• Tay’s Top Ten

Making Strides Towards Mental Health Treatment

• Tay’s Top Ten

Black Panther Movie Review

• Tay’s Top Ten

This Just In: Reptiles Conspire to Dominate the Human Race

Tay’s Top Ten