UCF Knights Claim National Championship

No-one outside of UCF feels they deserve it

The+Knights+Stadium%2C+located+in+Orlando%2C+Florida.+
The Knights Stadium, located in Orlando, Florida.

Photo Credit Wikimedia Commons

Photo Credit Wikimedia Commons

Trey Ecker, Editor-in-Chief

This past season the UCF Knights were the only team to go undefeated, they had an impressive Peach Bowl win, and they capped off the season declaring themselves National Champions.

The Knights claim that since they beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl and Auburn beat both Georgia and Alabama that they, therefore, are National Champs. The school gave their coaches National Championship bonuses as well as giving the team rings, and a parade at Magic Kingdom. The only issue with this is the fact that they aren’t the only National Champs this year.

On January 8th the Alabama Crimson Tide defeated the Georgia Bulldogs in a nail biting game, winning 26-23 in overtime. On the flipside, UCF was not able to compete for the National Championship. Although they were undefeated they were ranked 12th in the polls and only the top 4 teams compete in the playoffs, which removed them from the running at the outset. Junior, Nate Rogers shared his belief “that they should’ve been treated better for going undefeated than they were in the rankings but life’s unfair,” Due to the ranking system, numerous amounts of College Football fans are pining for the Playoffs to be extended to an 8 team playoff. “With [amended] college rankings it would make the college football playoffs last longer and it would allow teams like UCF that did really well in their division to have an opportunity [to play for a championship] even though they aren’t [as well established],” opined Rogers. Senior, John Hook shares the same sentiment stating “It should be an 8 team playoff with all power five conference champs and the three wild cards.”

This debacle has created controversy. Hook believes “UCF played a bad schedule so they don’t necessarily deserve to be in a four team playoff but [if it were an] eight team playoff they do deserve [to compete].” Many people who side with UCF state that they should be able to do this because Alabama did the same thing in the past, and Auburn claimed they won the National Championship in 1993 even though they were denied eligibility to play in the SEC championship due to NCAA violations. They’re not the only teams who have claimed themselves National Champs in a year with already one National Champion; throughout the history of college football there have been 32 years (excluding this year) in which more than one team has been announced as the National Champions. Yet these were not claimed by the school only, those 32 teams previously mentioned was ranked 1st in at least 1 poll in those years.

These facts don’t change anything though and the only true way to settle the debate is through a 60 minute battle on the field between the Knights and the Crimson Tide. The last time the two teams played was for Alabama’s Homecoming game in 2000 and the Knights stunned the whole stadium with a 40-38 victory over the Tide. Rogers believes that if the teams were to play today that “Alabama would win [since] they are ridiculously good at football and [because] they are just a powerhouse. They are THE dominant college football franchise.”