What to Consider When Going Vegetarian

Elizabeth Gabbard, Staff

With the new year in full swing, people are starting to give up on their resolutions. My resolution this year was to eat less meat, and I haven’t done the greatest job, but I’m determined to change that. If you’re like me, and want to consider living a healthier lifestyle with less meat, keep reading for the five tips to be a healthy vegetarian.

Protein!!:

When cutting meat out of your life, it’s really easy to forget what things you need to be putting in your body. Protein is one of the biggest things you lose by cutting out meat, but there are other options. Vegetarians have many options for protein such as beans, peas, nuts, soy, eggs, and dairy products. Incorporating these will help you maintain the balanced diet you need.

Making Small Changes:

Many people struggle with giving up food from their meat filled diets, but what they don’t realize is that their favorite foods can easily be made vegetarian friendly. Making small changes to the foods that you already eat can make the transition to vegetarian much easier. Consider trying things like veggie pizza, veggie lasagna, or tofu-veggie-stir fry. They taste great and are so much healthier for you.

Give Soy Products a Try:

While “fake meat” is looked down upon by many, soy based products are actually not that bad. They usually look and taste like meat, only with a slight variation in texture. Eating soy based meat substitutes is great for supplementing protein and can get you some of the vitamins you need. Plus, who doesn’t love a little adventurous eating!

Supplements are Your Best Friend:

Living a healthy vegetarian lifestyle isn’t always easy. Cutting out meat from your diet can also cut out a few vitamins that you need. Since these vitamins may be missing, buying supplements like B12 and iron can really help you stay healthy while making this change. It also makes it easier to remember to get those necessary things into your body, just a quick vitamin and you’re done!

Don’t Shy Away From Restaurants:

Tons people don’t give vegetarianism a chance because they like to go out to eat often. What they don’t realize is that most restaurants have vegetarian options on their menu, and some places are even willing to make substitutions to make a dish vegetarian. So don’t shy away from your favorite places to eat, chances are they have a vegetarian friendly option on their menu.

Hopefully these tips have helped you become a little more educated on a vegetarian diet and lifestyle, and maybe even got you thinking about giving it a try. Just remember that making a change in your diet can be a huge responsibility in the beginning, and you have to work hard to stay healthy. In the end, the hard work can pay off.

To learn more about how cutting meat out of your diet can benefit you, check out other articles such as this one from Reader’s Digest about the benefits of cutting out red meat.

About the Writer
Elizabeth Gabbard, Staff
I’m Elizabeth Gabbard. You’ll probably never see me around school, and if you do, all you’ll see is sunglasses. I spend 90% of my time sleeping or binge watching any of my latest netflix obsessions. The other 10% of my life goes to writing opinion pieces for the Telstar at 3am during fits of uncontrollable...