Valentine’s Day Gift Giving Guide

Flowers in the shape of a heart, just one of the many possible Valentine's Day gifts!

Photo Credit Peggy2012CREATIVELENZ

Photo Credit Peggy2012CREATIVELENZ

Kelly Hazlett, Staff Writer

February 14th is quickly approaching, and you know what that means? Valentine’s Day! That sentence will either evoke sighs of joy or dread, but nevertheless, this Hallmark holiday is here to stay. If you’re one of the people who dread Valentine’s Day, just remember that the day doesn’t have to be all about your (or lack of) significant other! Celebrate the day with friends and family as well and let them know that they are appreciated.

Of course, there are the classic gifts: chocolate, roses, jewelry, teddy bears holding pink hearts…However, I think it’s time that Valentine’s Day gifts get spiced up a bit. Here is a quick guide for Valentine’s Day gifts that go outside the box and don’t break the bank, whether it be for a girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, or family member!

Gifts for a Girlfriend/Boyfriend:

1. Ever heard of the “pink drink” at Starbucks? It’s inherently Valentine’s Day themed so pick one up, put a cute note on it, and call it a day.
  2. Roses are going to die in about a week, and they low-key break the bank. Change it up and get a potted plant (succulents etc.), so your S.O. can display it in his/her room for months!
  3. It’s no question that people love food, so because Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday, pack lunch for your S.O.! You can go the extra mile and cut things like strawberries into hearts, but as long as you have food, you’re golden.
  4. Print out a few pictures of you and your S.O. and write captions on the back of them. The pictures are a fun way to replace a typical card!
  5. Print out a map and cover it with pins or drawn hearts of where you have had significant moments/ experiences together.
  6. Write a handwritten letter!

Gifts for Friends:

1. Having a Valentine’s Day themed potluck is another great way to celebrate with friends. Everyone from your lunch table can bring in one food item for the table to enjoy!
  2. Write your friends tiny cards. Use an index card to write a short note about how much you appreciate having them in your life.
  3. Make a bunch of cupcakes and hand them out to friends throughout the day!

Gifts for Parents:

1. As we get older, the less and less we tell our parents how much they mean to us. Valentine’s Day is a great time to send them a little love. A great way to do this is to print out an older picture of you together. If you want to go the extra mile, go to the Fracture website and get the photo printed on glass. The glass prints are beautiful and are sure to impress your parents. Glass prints start as low as $18.
  2. Letters are also a great way to show your appreciation for your parents and all that they do for you.