The Real Winner of the Super Bowl

Emilio Zipf, Contributer

While the Philadelphia Eagles did technically claim victory in last week’s Super Bowl, these commercials should have taken the win.

Amazon created a hilarious advertisement with the premise that Alexa loses her voice. Cameos of the “voice replacements” include Rebel Wilson, Cardi B, Gordon Ramsay, and Sir Anthony Hopkins. Each “voice replacement” brings their own twist to Alexa, with Gordon Ramsay berating an Alexa user asking how to make a grilled cheese, and Cardi B playing her popular rap song “Bodak Yellow” at the request for country music. The cameos, and each of their absurd performances as Alexa makes this the best Super Bowl LII ad.

In this ad, the famous red M&M wishes to be a human, and is then transformed into Danny DeVito. The casting of Danny DeVito is perfect, as his short stature makes him the closest any human will get to being an M&M. In addition, his playful acting as he asks pedestrians, “do you wanna eat me?” makes this commercial entertaining.

Tide created a witty ad starring David Harbour from Stranger Things. The commercial imitated other generic ads, stating that, “every Super Bowl ad is a Tide ad”. They emulated jewelry, car, insurance and fitness ads along with many other cliche commercial shorts. This advertising was silly, but also effective in extending the message that Tide is useful in everyday life.

One of the funniest Super Bowl commercials was constructed by the NFL itself. This ad depicted Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. of the New York Giants in a series of ridiculous scenes in which both are dancing together on the field after throwing a touchdown. The funny dancing ties in perfectly to the NFL’s message “Touchdown Celebrations to Come”.

As usual, Doritos and Mountain Dew pulled off another successful ad this year. This time Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones and Morgan Freeman lip sync songs in a rap battle showdown. Dinklage is carrying Doritos and spits fire, while Freeman is drinking Mountain Dew and can shoot ice. The showdown is both epic and ridiculous, while promoting both products.

One of the most heartwarming ads was a Toyota ad featuring Paralympic gold medalist Lauren Woolstencroft and her journey from being born without legs below the knee or left arm below the elbow. During her journey, the odds of her winning an Olympic gold continues to increase until it reaches “1 in 1” and she wins gold. This commercial is the most heartwarming this year.

Australia Tourism cleverly used a fake movie commercial to promote tourism. The movie depicted is a new Crocodile Dundee movie starring Danny McBride and Chris Hemsworth. The hilarious ad shows McBride attempting to be like his father, Crocodile Dundee, and Chris Hemsworth as his tour guide. There is even a cameo of the original Crocodile Dundee, Paul Hogan.

Bud Light’s advertisement depicts the Bud Knight arriving to join the fight for Bud Light in a Lord of the Rings style battle. However, at first he does not, instead he buys Bud Light and says he has a party to attend. But there is a happy ending when he is finally convinced to use his sword to defeat the enemies, and everyone gets Bud Light.

Pepsi created a throwback ad, which perfectly combined Pepsi ads from many generations. The commercial references everything from the moon landing, Jeff Gordon driving in NASCAR, and Kyrie Irving. The commercial, while not particularly funny tied together the Pepsi of the past, present, and future.

Bill Hader starred in a Pringles commercial which entailed the stacking of many flavors of Pringles and him exclaiming “wow!” The commercial was definitely lacking in laughs especially with a talented comedian like Bill Hader. It had great potential, but the only funny parts were Hader screaming, ”nobody asked you Kevin!” and stuffing the Pringles in his mouth as the ad ended.