How to: Avoid Senioritis

Cures for the seemingly incurable affliction

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to: Avoid Senioritis

Senior Kelly Hazlett counting down the days to graduation.

Photo Credit Kira Downs

Photo Credit Kira Downs

Photo Credit Kira Downs

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Senioritis: noun  se·nior·i·tis  \ ˌsē-nyər-ˈī-təs \

an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.

Or, alternatively, a fictional disease spreading like wildfire through high schools nationwide. It’s a malady that feels inescapable to every high school senior, and left “untreated”, senioritis can drain even the most motivated of students. This lack of motivation and overall exhaustion towards high school is even more apparent now, considering most college admissions letters have been received. Acceptance to one’s dream school can elicit a sense of pride and accomplishment, but can also manifest itself in a less productive attitude of complacency. However, senioritis can be avoided with a few tried and true tips to keep motivation running high as graduation approaches.

Keep your deadlines in order.

It’s easy to feel like a college acceptance negates the need to continue to work hard in school, but we are still 85 days from graduation and class deadlines continue. Keeping track of these deadlines in a planner, to-do list, or calendar can be a helpful reminder that yes, you are still a student bound to assignments and tests. Whenever you feel the lethargic pull of a nap, a scroll through social media, or falling down a rabbit hole of mindless YouTube videos, a quick look at the deadline for an honors application, a research paper, or final exam will help ground you to push through procrastination.

Remember how far you have come.

Hopefully, your high school academic career has been a four year practice in diligence and perseverance, and to end it on a whimper, rather than a bang, would be a shame. If you’re on track to graduate with a perfect GPA, special distinctions, or even a sense of pride, there is no reason why these goals should not be achieved. Graduation is closer than it seems, and you deserve to see your hard work pay off, rather than be tarnished by lackluster grades in your final semester. You have worked too hard to give up now!

Think of those invested in your success.

Your parents and teachers have all been along with you through this ride, and to let them down for a simple lack of trying seems like a poor way to repay them. Make sure you can show your teachers that their lessons have made you into a stellar student with strong work ethic. Furthermore, prove to your parents that their help in your college tuition is a worthwhile investment. Being surrounded by parents and teachers filled with genuine pride will only make graduation more fulfilling.

Try new activities.

“The less routine, the more life.” ”

— Amos Bronson Alcott

Shaking up your routine can invigorate you and provide new inspiration. Try a new sport, hang out with some new friends, get involved in your community, or even just change a few basic habits- stagnation will only exacerbate any lack of motivation you are feeling. Plus, trying new things can give you a sense for what activities you might enjoy in college.

Remember college acceptance is not final.

College acceptance may feel like the end of the line for hard work, but keep in mind that acceptances and scholarships can be rescinded if colleges see a significant drop off in grades. You have most certainly earned your accolades- continue to earn them through your final months. Even if your acceptance is not rescinded, you may enter college on academic probation, meaning that if your grades drop, you could be expelled.

Get excited for college!

Possibly the strongest motivator of all is the knowledge that in a few short months, you will be inundated with new opportunities at the college of your choosing, and all you have to do is persevere. Plan what you hope to do in college, including classes, extracurriculars, or sports, and use your excitement as fuel. Or take an alternate perspective on your dwindling time as a Scorp- make the most of your final time at Satellite with those who mean the most to you.

Make the most of your final time at Satellite with those who mean the most to you.”

About the Contributor
Kira Downs, Section Editor

I’m Kira Downs, a 12th grade Telstar Writer. I am a lover of books, coffee, and striped shirts. If you’re wondering who smells like chlorine in your...