Track Team Competes at Two Meets

Junior Chase Haight running in the open mile.

Photo Credit Claire Johnson-MilesplitFL

Photo Credit Claire Johnson-MilesplitFL

Emilio Zipf, Staff

Last weekend the track team split up between two meets, the Royal Open and the Highlander Invitational. Both meets were within a few miles of each other in Orlando, one at First Academy and the other at Lake Highland Preparatory School. Most of the Scorpions performed well, but all are anticipating the home meet this Friday.

At the Royal Open, high-placing performances were spread across the sprints, field events, and distance. Holly Carter and Olivia Hiedeman, both seniors, won first and second place in the discus with throws of 115 feet and 95 feet. Holly Carter was also fourth place in the shot put with a throw of almost 32 feet. Senior Alexandra Piriz pole vaulted 11 feet to win the pole vault. In the sprints, senior Zerius Cobb took third place in the 100 meter dash with a time of 11.39 seconds, and fifth in the 200 meters in 23.31 seconds, Zerius also was 3rd place in the long jump, jumping over 19 feet. Joshua Claybough and Luis Morris, also both seniors, were third and fourth in the triple jump with jumps of over 40 and 37 feet. Luis Morris also was second to senior Noah Mumme in the pole vault with over 13 feet, while Noah jumped almost fifteen and a half feet. Luis even won the discus with a throw of 145 feet, junior Scott Weiand was second with 128 feet, and senior Joseph Schwartz was third, throwing almost 126 feet. In the 1600 meter run, Colby Steger, a sophomore, ran 4:46 for a second place finish, junior Kobe Thompson was fourth at 4:48, and sophomore Walker Cummins was fifth in 4:51.

A few miles away at the Highlander Invitational, Satellite athletes were also placing in many events. Junior Lana Rukab placed fourth in the 1600 meter run with a time of 5:29, and senior Brianna Basford was sixth in the 3200 meter run in 12:33. Sara Towers, also a senior, finished second in the 800 meter run in 2:24. Seniors Walker Hirsch and Rahul Koshy were second and fifth in the mile with times of 4:31 and 4:36, while sophomore Nathaniel Basford was seventh place with a time of 4:42. Freshman Gabe Montague ran 9:55 in the 3200 meter run, finishing in second place. Seniors John Padilla and Charlie Dickinson completed the 800 meter run in 2:00 and 2:04, in first and fifth place. Junior Thomas Persicketti took second in the high jump, jumping over six feet, and sophomore Daniel Weeks placed fifth with a jump just over five and a half feet. Benjamin Nicks, a sophomore, threw over 40 feet in the shot put for fourth place.

Both meets were success for the Scorpions. By splitting up the team everyone had the opportunity to compete, and many had personal bests. But this week is the main event, the Satellite Invitational, right here at our track. For the first time in almost ten years Satellite High will be hosting a home track meet against 19 other teams. So come out and support the track team this Friday after school at the track.

About the Writer
Emilio Zipf, Staff
I am Emilio Zipf, a senior at Satellite High School. I write articles about student life which includes new trends, things that go on, and literally anything else. In my free time I like to run, and grow out my afro.