First Home Track Meet in a Decade

Photo Credit Ashley Basford

Photo Credit Ashley Basford

Emilio Zipf and Ashley Basford

For the first time in about a decade 19 teams arrived for our home track meet, the Satellite Invitational. In addition, hundreds of spectators descended upon the event to watch Scorpions and other athletes perform last Friday night.

The girls team placed 5th out of 19 teams. In the girls 100 meter race, our first girl was Brooke Cohen-Pinsky placing 22nd out of 60 running 13.90 seconds. Cohen-Pinsky also placed 6th in the girls long jump. In the girls 200 meter race, Mariah Smith placed 31st out of 59 girls running 31.10. Kelly Straehla placed 13th out of 47 girls in the 400 meter race. Sara Towers blew away the competition placing 1st in the 800 meter race with a time of 2:26 followed by Senior Brianna Basford running a personal record of 2:37. Senior Chelsea Basford placed 21st in the girls 1600 meter race after fighting a hip injury all season. In the girls 3200 meter race, junior Lana Rukab and senior Ashley Basford placed 2nd and 5th out of 18 girls earning 12 points together for the team. The girls 4 by 800 meter race placed second overall was led by juniors Marie Groppel and Lana Rukab along with seniors Sara Towers and Brianna Basford. The pole vaulters vaulted phenomenal once again and leading the crew was senior Alex Piriz placing 1st at 3.2 meters. Followed by the Prospero sisters with Reece jumping 2.44 meters and Chiara jumping 1.83 meters. Holly Carter placed 3rd in the girls discuss and 6th in the shot put. Olivia Hiedeman placed 4th in the girls discus throwing 27.74 meters.

Across the boys team many athletes achieved season bests. Senior Zerius Cobb was fourth in the 100 meter dash and third in the 200 meter dash, running two season bests. Zerius was also on the second place 4 by 100 meter team with seniors Zarius Cobb and Noah Mumme, and junior Beau Cole. Beau and Zerius competed in the long jump with fifth and fourth place finishes. Noah Mumme placed first with a season best performance in the pole vault, and Luis Morris was second. Luis placed in two other events, he was third in the 110 meter hurdles and second in the discus. Also in the discus, senior Joe Schwartz and junior Scott Wieand were third and fourth both with season bests. The shot put had three Satellite throwers in the top five, Alex Iervasi in first, and Henry Covington in third, both seniors had season bests, while sophomore J.D. Arnold was fourth. John Padilla, a senior, was second in the 800 meter run with a season best, and was a part of the winning 4 by 800 meter relay with seniors Charlie Dickinson, Walker Hirsch, and Trenton Korte. Charlie Dickinson and Walker Hirsch achieved season bests with a third and fourth place finish in the 3200 meter run. In addition, senior Rahul Koshy was fourth in the 1600 meter run. Senior Thomas Persicketti had season best on his way to winning the high jump, and junior Rae Quan Miller was fourth. Senior Josh Claybaugh was second in the triple jump. With so many athletes placing the Satellite boys were able to bring home the team championship.

The first Satellite Invitational was a success, and hopefully it is an indicator that more home meets are planned for years to come. However, in the nearer future Satellite hosts two more track meets this spring with the next one on March 16th.