Why Highschoolers Are Hesitant to Use Their Voice

Juniors Kirra Fisher, Matthew Burdick, Danielle Villardi, and Taylor Rohleen

Photo Credit Marcie Fisher

Photo Credit Marcie Fisher

Jazz Dawkins, Staff

In this day and age, there’s a lot going on. A lot to debate about and to speak up for. There will always be an issue worth discussing, however, some groups of people aren’t always heard or given a platform. As a highschooler, I find it sometimes scary to share my views on some topics. I have no problem sharing my views on LGBT+ and female rights. I sometimes freeze on racial issues, but I am a little quieter when it comes to some political views. I don’t typically argue those topics unless otherwise provoked or questioned; otherwise, I only ever talk politically to my friends who share the same views as me. However, I know why I am hesitant. Sometimes I feel that I can’t be taken seriously by adults who often look at teens differently for having some kind of say in the political world. Although I feel that they shouldn’t look at teens any differently than they do adults seeing how we’re growing up in the me world as them and need to know what’s going on. I do feel personally that it depends on how “riled up” I get on a situation or conflict. If someone says something blatantly insensitive or ignorant then I’ll usually speak up. I think another thing to take into consideration is also the environment I’m in, so that might affect why I or other high schoolers are hesitant to speak up as well. Some Satellite students also weigh in on their take on this issue.

Junior Kate Narrign says, “I feel like adults don’t think we know what we’re talking about and that doubt from older people causes us to not say anything,” which is statement I also agree with. Junior Velouria Loya brings up a good point that sometimes “people are shy or don’t know when to chime in. [She thinks] it’s easy to start a political discussion nowadays, like really easy, [but she] just [doesn’t] know when to get into it. Also since I don’t even talk all that much, it’d be kinda weird that the only time I’d talk in class would be during something political”: another good point. However, students like Taylor Rohleen, Danielle Villardi, Matthew Burdick, and Kirra Fisher have no problem attending rallies for things they see important such as gun control, being vocal and and inviting people to those rallies and spreading the word on upcoming events. Junior Kirra Fisher is even the president of the Young Democrats/Progressives club at Satellite High.

Erasing the narrative that teens don’t know what they’re talking about would make it easier for them to talk as freely as adults do. I personally have heard some kinds who I didn’t think really care about some issues be very educated and I think we all fall short on realizations like that.