Weekly Links: Oscars Edition

Hope Hicks, North Korea, and more in this week’s news.

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Welcome to Telstar’s Weekly Links, a weekly segment in which we share some of the week’s most relevant news, on a national and local scale.

The 90th Academy Awards aired on March 4th, filled with surprises, rousing speeches, and jokes. Guillermo del Toro’s eccentric love story “The Shape of Water” took home some of the biggest awards of the night, including Best Picture and Achievement in Directing. Jordan Peele’s politically driven horror film “Get Out” scored recognition for Best Original Screenplay in a rare win for the genre.

“Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri’s” Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell secured honors for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor respectively, Gary Oldman was announced Best Actor for “Darkest Hour,” and Allison Janney won Best Supporting Actress for her role in “I, Tonya.”

The night promoted themes of equality and representation through montages paying tribute to trailblazers in these areas.

See a full list of winners here.

White House communications director Hope Hicks announced her upcoming resignation on February 28th. Hicks was one of President Trump’s most reliable supporters, having aided the president since the inception of his campaign. This exit was surrounded by suspicion due to her admission the previous day that she sometimes tells “white lies” for the president, however, her departure has not been officially attributed to this statement or its subsequent reaction by Hicks or any other White House official.

After talks in Pyongyang, Seoul’s national security chief Chung Eui-yong said North Korea expressed willingness to talk to the United States “in an open-ended dialogue to discuss the issue of denuclearization and to normalize relations with North Korea.” North Korea clarified that it had no reason to retain nuclear weapons if “the military threat to North Korea is resolved” and the country’s security can be guaranteed.

In the aftermath of the deadly Parkland school shooting, the National Rifle Association has seen an increase in membership, either due to or in spite of a nationwide conversation about gun control and restriction. Dudley Brown, the president of the National Association for Gun Rights, estimated online membership applications at his organization could have grown by 30% over the last week. Robert Norman wrote an op-ed for The Federalist explaining why he bought his first gun after watching the CNN town hall with Parkland survivors and law makers, stating that the public’s prioritization of security over liberty prompted him to do so.

Dictionary.com has officially added definitions for various emojis, becoming the first major reference to do so. “As a dictionary it’s our job to have reference content for the terms or communication tools that people have questions about,” says Lauren Sliter, head of content strategy for the Oakland, Calif.-based company. “And people have questions about what the eggplant emoji means.” This addition indicates a legitimization of emojis as forms of communication that could be a massive change for linguistics as a whole.