Who Run the World?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Who Run the World?

Junior Class Officers (left to right) Taylor Askeland, Secretary, Lina Frohberg, Vice President, Taylor Rohleen, President, and Maile Haire, Treasurer. These women typify the strength and unity within women.

Taylor Rohleen

Today, March 8, 2018, is the epicenter to the Women’s Rights Movement: International Women’s Day. Each year, this date is celebrated by women around the globe who come together to celebrate their womanhood, regardless of their race, income, political compass, or where their love lies.

The holiday holds special meanings to each woman, due to their diverse upbringings and beliefs. Below is what International Women’s Day symbolizes to the Lady Scorps of Satellite High School.

“International Women’s Day…”

Brooke Cohen-Pinsky, 9

“[…] shows the resilience and hardships that we all have gone through and how together we were able to change the course of history. This day marks the tipping point of the movement for equality, a movement which we are still working toward.”

Julia Lavrador, 9

“[…] means women standing by each other and helping them grow. It means overcoming difficulties that we face every day, and celebrating our successes.

Serina Vadella, 9

“What is International Women’s Day?”

Brooke Boddy, 10

“[…] is a day to express how not just men, but also women, can work together to make a positive difference in the world. The day is also to raise awareness about current women’s issues.”

Mackenzie Versaggi, 10

“[…] is a day to celebrate how far we have come in our quest for equality to men, and it a time for us to celebrate how amazing our gender is!”

Madi Versaggi, 10

“[…] is very empowering. This day also demonstrates a step in the right direction against gender roles and equality between men and women.”

Ashley Anderson, 11

“[…] is where women can appreciate and support each other.”

Kayla Hunsaker, 11

“[…] is not centered around what we have not accomplished. I believe it revolves around recognizing achievements of women that have already occurred and where we are as a group. It is a day to recognize women who have been role models, shaped lives, and paved the road for society in a positive direction.”

Allison Ramos, 11

“[…] is a time to celebrate being a woman and to recognize the achievements that have been made for women over time.  I also believe it is about pushing for progress so girls and women can possess a better quality of life in the future.”

Danielle Villardi, 11

“[…] is a day to remember all the strong women who have shaped the world today. For far too many years, we have overlooked the accomplishments of women, and I feel International Women’s Day gives us a chance to reflect on how far we have come in terms of women’s rights.”

Sarah Adams, 12

“[…] is a chance to celebrate the beautiful and powerful sentiments of women from all across the world. Women have overcome much hardship and adversity, and we will continue to overcome more. I believe that people are most impactful when unified, so I think International  Women’s Day is a chance for women everywhere to take a step and say, ‘Hey we’re pretty cool and have done some amazing things.’”

Isabelle Combs, 12

“[…] is a moment of recognition and reflection on the progression of women in the world. It is a day for realization that women do no longer need permission to speak out about their triumphs as well as their faults. It is rejoicing in solidarity with other women.”

Kelli Lynch, 12

“[…] means recognizing all of the contributions women make in society, not just in the public, but also at home, where women worldwide are responsible for the biggest burden.”

Sarah Stukey, 12

“[…] is essential to celebrate the progress that has been made for women, but it is also to continue to honor and advocate for the women around the world who are struggling every day to attain even half of the rights that we are fighting for.”

Enjolie Vadella, 12

“[…] makes me think of Helen Reddy’s song, ‘I am Woman.’ It was the feminist anthem of the 70s.”

Lillie Zobel, 12

“[…] commemorates both the achievements women have made in the past and the future achievements of female leaders and innovators. It’s a time to come together as a society and push for the changes we want to see in the world. International Women’s Day is a celebration of love, equality, perseverance, and the desire to be better.”

About the Writer
Taylor Rohleen, Editor-in-Chief

Student Body President. Captain of the Swim Team. FJCL Vice President. Dancing Queen.