Walk Up Not Out Movement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Walk Up Not Out Movement

Ashley Basford, Section Editor

(Please keep in mind this is merely a news report)

Ryan Petty, father of Alaina who was among those killed at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, has proposed a statement of advice for the young demonstrators walking out for the reduction of gun violence. “Instead of walking out on March 14, encourage students to walk up” stated Petty.

On March 13th, Petty tweeted, “The #March4OurLives supporters with accomplish only two things. 1. They’ll exercise their 1st Amendment right. 2. They’ll get a little exercise. If you really want to stop the next school shooter #walkupnotout.” He suggested that more change would occur if students would reach out to their peers with kindness and acceptance to be the light in someone else’s darkness. Petty challenges students to “walk up to your teachers and thank them; walk up to someone who has different views than you and get to know them — you may be surprised at how much you have in common.”

At Petty’s daughters funeral he stated, “we wish and believe,” Petty told The Deseret News, “that if somebody had been able to put their arms around him and show him some compassion and love to the extent that would have enabled him to get some help, things may have been very different last week.”

“Having a strong family is the most important thing, to have support and love and to learn right from wrong,” Kelly Petty said. “When children don’t have that, sometimes they end up doing really bad things. If strong families were encouraged more and fought for more, more kids could be helped and not fall by the wayside and not do things like last week.”

Petty is encouraging students to “walk up to the kid who sits alone and invite him to sit with your group” and “build on that foundation instead of casting stones” because it can make all the difference in someone else’s world. You never know the difference you can make by giving someone a compliment or smiling at someone. Mark Twain once stated “kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”

Some inspirational quotes to think about…

1. Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. —Robert Louis Stevenson
  2. I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples. —Mother Teresa
  3. For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. —Audrey Hepburn
  4. The only way to do great work is to love what you do. —Steve Jobs
  5. Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible”! —Audrey Hepburn
  6. Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. —Eleanor Roosevelt
  7. Believe you can and you’re halfway there. —Theodore Roosevelt
  8. Do or do not. There is no try. —Yoda
  9. I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. —Michael Jordan
  10. If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced. —Vincent Van Gogh
About the Writer
Ashley Basford, Section Editor

I'm Ashley Basford and I am a senior at Satellite High School. I usually write sports articles which are mostly on cross country or track and sometimes...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Walk Up Not Out Movement”

1. Grace Blair on March 22nd, 2018 8:08 pm

Loved the article! Its good to have different movements other than the usual one on the news

2. Jwatson on March 24th, 2018 11:21 am

Read this after seeing Ryan Petty on Cavuto on Fox.

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

Creative Media

SAFA Coffee House

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

We Are Sources of Strength

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

Senior Superlatives, Quotes, & Questions

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

AP Calculus & Physics Race Their CO2 Cars

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

Giving Back This Thanksgiving

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

Founders’ Day Celebration Recap

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

OneBlood Blood Drive

• News

Daylight Saving Time: Is Florida Included?

• Walk Up Not Out Movement

Red Tide Reaches Brevard County

• News

Picasso at the Lapin Agile

Walk Up Not Out Movement