Weekly Links: Census Edition

March For Our Lives, Alton Sterling, and more in this week's news.

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Welcome to Telstar’s Weekly Links, a weekly segment in which we share some of the week’s most relevant news, on a national and local scale.

On Monday, March 26th, the Commerce Department announced that the 2020 census will include a question that asks respondents whether or not they are U.S. citizens, stating that they have “determined that reinstatement of a citizenship question on the 2020 decennial census questionnaire is necessary to provide complete and accurate census block level data.” This decision has sparked immense controversy due to fears that this could result in a severe undercount caused by illegal immigrants opting to not respond. Officials in New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, and California have indicated that they will sue the Trump Administration over this action. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders stated on Tuesday that “This is a question that’s been included in every census since 1965 with the exception of 2010, when it was removed.” The validity of this statement has come into question; read a fact check here.

The March For Our Lives took place across the country last Friday, March 24th. Brevard County held a march on the Eau Gallie bridge, which several Satellite students attended to protest gun violence and commemorate both the victims and survivors of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. The largest march took place in Washington, D.C.  This march was organized by 17 survivors of the massacre, including Emma González, Cameron Kasky, and Sam Fuentes, who all spoke at the event. González’s speech included 4 minutes of standing silently, to demonstrate around the length of time over which the shooting took place. The event also included performances by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Platt, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, and Demi Lovato.

Two op-eds related to the Parkland shooting and ensuing debate over solutions initiated national conversations this week: one written by former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens calling for the repeal of the second amendment, and one by Parkland survivor Isabelle Robinson entitled “I tried to befriend Nikolas Cruz. He still killed my friends,” addressing the argument that the shooting could have been avoided had students been kinder to Cruz and the Walk Up Not Out movement.

Survivors of school shootings over 20 years spoke out the the New York Times about how the response to Parkland has been different.

On Tuesday, Louisiana officials did not charge two Baton Rouge police officers in the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling, a prominent case in the Black Lives Matter movement. This ruling comes on the wake of the March 18th death of Stephon Clark, who was shot 20 times by police in his backyard after they believed the cell phone which he was holding was a gun. On Tuesday, a city council meeting regarding the issue was adjourned after being stormed by protestors, including Clark’s brother Stevonte, who jumped onto the dais in front of Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg, beckoning protesters to chant his brother’s name.

President Trump’s lead lawyer in the Russia investigation, John Dowd, resigned, citing strategy differences as the reason for the “mutual decision.”

Adult film star Stormy Daniels delivered an interview on “60 Minutes” in which she explained her side of the story regarding her alleged affair with President Trump. Read the full transcript here.

The state of Mississippi is facing lawsuit after signing a controversial abortion bill on Monday that would ban abortion after 15 weeks. “We are saving more of the unborn than any state in America and what better thing can we do?” Republican Gov. Phil Bryant said in a video his office posted on social media. The law’s only exceptions are if a fetus has health problems making it “incompatible with life” outside of the womb at full term, or if a pregnant woman’s life or a “major bodily function” is threatened by pregnancy. Pregnancies resulting from rape and incest aren’t exempted. The state’s sole abortion clinic filed suit, stating that “Under decades of United States Supreme Court precedent, the state of Mississippi cannot ban abortion prior to viability, regardless of what exceptions are provided to the ban.”

Linda Brown passed away at age 76 on Sunday, March 25th. At age six, she became the epicenter of the Brown v. Board of Education case, as her father sued the Topeka Board of Education on her behalf after she was denied access to an all white school much closer to her house than the nearest black school, which was miles away from the Brown home. This ruling struck down the doctrine of “separate but equal” that had given validation to segregation for years.

The internet lit up with questions and theories after “Girl’s Trip” star Tiffany Haddish revealed in an interview an encounter she had witnessed in which an unnamed actress had bit singer Beyoncé on the face.

Five-time Olympic gold medalist and eleven-time American record holder Katie Ledecky has announced that she will be foregoing her final two years of NCAA eligibility in swimming and will become professional. Ledecky has competed for Stanford University for the past two years while also competing on a world state at the Olympics and a myriad of other high profile meets. She will continue to attend Stanford as a student and train with her teammates. “I’ve had two really great years of college swimming, have been on an incredible team that’s won back-to-back national championships” she said in an interview with The Washington Post. “I feel like now is the right time for me to be making this transition and starting this next chapter.”

About the Contributors
Kira Downs, Section Editor
I’m Kira Downs, a 12th grade Telstar Writer. I am a lover of books, coffee, and striped shirts. If you’re wondering who smells like chlorine in your class, it’s probably me.
Emilio Zipf, Staff
I am Emilio Zipf, a senior at Satellite High School. I write articles about student life which includes new trends, things that go on, and literally anything else. In my free time I like to run, and grow out my afro.