Conquering Spring Break

Kelly Hazlett and Chloe Frederick

Photo Credit Taylor Richard
Abby Richard, Lillie Zobel, Taylor Richard, Kelly Hazlett, and Sara Malmquist enjoy a picnic in Gleason Park.

If you’ve fallen victim to extreme boredom over spring break, here are a few activities that will be sure to please!

• If food is on your mind and you want to stay in Brevard, check out the TelstarAdvisor to find some great restaurants near you!
  • If the weather is good, go on a picnic with some friends! Gleason Park, Wickham Park, and the beach are all great places to share food, drinks, and laughs. Have each person pick a food or beverage to bring, and don’t forget a blanket!
  • For some local fun, the Brevard Zoo is the place for you. The zoo offers plenty of fun and over 650 animals to see throughout your visit. Activities such as feedings, kayak tours, paddle boating, and zip lining are all available.
  • The Sebastian Inlet is a beautiful spot that offers a variety of activities in clear blue water. You’ll find surf competitions, fishing, swimming, and boating. When swimming in the inlet you may be greeted by manatees and other aquatic friends. For fishing fanatics  you’ll most likely catch snook and redfish. If you aren’t one to swim the Inlet offers a sandy shore perfect for tanning and picnic tables for a nice sweet or salty snack near the shoreline.
  • The Orlando International Premium Outlets are the perfect place to go during spring break. The outdoor shopping complex offers discounted name brands in a great location near many other Orlando hot spots like the Orlando Eye and Universal.
  • Disney Springs is one of the best places to go if you’re in the mood to walk around, eat, and have a good time while enjoying free parking. There are a multitude of things that you can do like go bowling at Splitsville, sample Coca-Cola products from around the world, take a cruise on the water in an amphibious car, see a movie at the AMC dine-in theater, or try new food like poutine!
  • On a hot day, there’s no better place than a water park. Parks such as Typhoon Lagoon are a blast, featuring a wave pool, roller coaster water slide, lazy river, and much more!
  • Living in Florida, theme parks are always a must during a break from school. Parks such as Disney and Universal provide attractions, entertainment, dining, and games. So if you find yourself sitting at home and want to experience some laughs and screams, head down to your most desired theme park.
  • Bedner’s Farm, located in Boynton Beach is a great place to go with friends if you’re in the mood to pick your own sunflowers, strawberries, peppers, tomatoes, or cucumbers! There is also a cute market next to the fields so you can pick up a few items for lunch. Visit their website here.
  • Sometimes the beach can get tiring, so to change it up and go to the natural springs! It’s no secret that springs are beautiful, fun, and refreshing, so if you are bored, hop in the car and head to a spring. De Leon Springs State Park near Deland, Wekiwa Springs State Park in Apopka, or Rock Springs at Kelly State Park are all great stops. Note: Rock Springs in known for its tubing trail, and De Leon Springs features a DIY pancake restaurant.
  • If you want to experience culture, these are the places for you. White Sands Buddhist Center is wonderful place to visit if you’re in the mood to learn something new about different ways of life. Located in Mims, the Center features gigantic statues honoring important ideals and figures in Buddhism. Call to schedule a tour or just show up and experience the peaceful gardens. Additionally the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens is a unique stop in Palm Beach County. For a small admission fee, you can walk around the beautifully maintained gardens and gain a better understanding for how Japanese people have impacted Florida.
  • If you want to have a new experience, I strongly suggest going to Tampa Bay and watching their hockey team, the Lightning, play. Lightning games are super rowdy and entertaining, so be sure to check it out. Click here for the game schedule.
  • St.Augustine and Mount Dora are great “staycation” options, as sometimes your home town can get old. This small getaway offers a change in scenery and a few days away from home. If you find yourself wanting to learn a bit of history about the Spanish settlers, artifacts from soldiers, old remedies for illnesses, and a fortresses, St. Augustine is the place for you! St. George Street is also a great place to walk around, eat, and shop! However, if you want to be more in touch with nature, Mount Dora is the place for you. It’s known for its quaint atmosphere and nature trails. Mount Dora also offers a large selection of antique shops.

About the Contributors
Kelly Hazlett, Staff
I’m Kelly Hazlett and am thrilled to join the Telstar team for my senior year. In my free time I like to sing, play lacrosse, and quote John Mulaney.
Chloe Frederick, Staff
I’m Chloe a current writer for the Telstar, at Satellite high. I’m also a Satellite swimmer. I love music, and long walks….. To the fridge (bet you thought I was going to say beach) 🙂