Weekly Links: Syria Edition

Mark Zuckerberg, Mean Girls, and more in this week's news.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Weekly Links: Syria Edition

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Welcome to Telstar’s Weekly Links, a weekly segment in which we share some of the week’s most relevant news, on a national and local scale.

More than 40 people were killed in on Saturday in a suspected chemical attack on Douma, a rebel-held town in Syria. Activists from the Violations Documentation Center (VDC) reported two separate incidents of bombs believed to contain toxic substances being dropped by the Syrian Air Force. The Syrian government, which has repeatedly denied ever using chemical weapons, accused rebels of “fabricating” the reports in a “failed attempt” to stop the government retaking Douma. US President Donald Trump declared on Monday that there had been a “heinous attack on innocent Syrians with banned chemical weapons”; he reported that he is now talking with US military leaders to decide who was responsible and would make some major decisions within 24 to 48 hours, adding that “nothing is off the table.”

Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg appeared before Congress Tuesday to address Facebook’s failure to protect users’ data and stop Russian election interference, following the revelation that sensitive data of as many as 87 million Facebook users were harvested without explicit permission by a political consulting firm, Cambridge Analytica, which was connected to the Trump campaign. Zuckerberg said he welcomed some form of regulation, as long as it was the “right regulation.”

On Monday, April 9th, the F.B.I. raided the office of President Trump’s personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, seizing business records, e-mails, and documents. Trump later accused the F.B.I. of perpetrating a “witch hunt.” It was later reported that the agents were seeking records related to the “Access Hollywood” tape that surfaced in 2016 depicting Trump making vulgar comments about women, as well as evidence of whether Cohen tried to suppress damaging information about Trump during the election.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan announced on Wednesday that he would not be running for re-election in November. This retirement only adds to GOP concern that the Republican party will suffer in this year’s primaries.

Mean Girls: The Musical opened on Broadway on Sunday, April 8th, starring Taylor Louderman, Erika Henningsen, Ashley Park, and Kate Rockwell. The stage adaptation of the 2004 teen movie was written in part by original writer Tina Fey, and includes many homages to the widely loved movie. Read the New York Times review here, in which they call the musical “a great time.”

27 year old golfer Patrick Reed took home the coveted green jacket at this year’s Masters tournament, holding off fierce competition from fellow American Jordan Spieth and Irish golfer Rory McIlroy. This was Reed’s first Majors win.

About the Contributors
Kira Downs, Section Editor

I’m Kira Downs, a 12th grade Telstar Writer. I am a lover of books, coffee, and striped shirts. If you’re wondering who smells like chlorine in your...

Emilio Zipf, Staff

I am Emilio Zipf, a senior at Satellite High School. I write articles about student life which includes new trends, things that go on, and literally anything...