Weekly Links: Korea Edition

Bill Cosby, Kanye West, and more in his week's news.

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Photo Credit Emilio Zipf

Kira Downs, Section Editor

Welcome to Telstar’s Weekly Links, a weekly segment in which we share some of the week’s most relevant news, on a national and local scale.

On Friday, April 27th, the leaders of North and South Korea agreed to pursue removing all nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula and, within the year, begin talks with the United States to declare an official end to the Korean War. “South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realizing, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula,” read a statement signed by North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and the South’s president, Moon Jae-in, after their meeting at the border village of Panmunjom.

Bill Cosby was found guilty of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman at his home 14 years ago on Thursday, April 26th. Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by over 50 women, however, this is the first of these cases to be prosecuted with results. The comedian, previously regarded as “America’s Dad,” also had an honorary degree revoked by Yale University and four others.

Rapper Kanye West polarized fans with remarks about President Trump and slavery. On April 25th, West tweeted:

“You don’t have to agree with trump but the mob can’t make me not love him. We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone. I don’t agree with everything anyone does. That’s what makes us individuals. And we have the right to independent thought.”

West also shared a photo of him wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat to show his support. The President responded to West’s support, tweeting:

“Thank you Kanye, very cool!”

The exchange caused West to lose many followers, including Drake, Rihanna, John Legend, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, and Kendrick Lamar. West also drew criticism for an interview with TMZ, in which he stated “When you hear about slavery for 400 years — for 400 years? That sounds like a choice. Like, you was there for 400 years and it’s all of y’all? It’s like we’re mentally in prison.”

Highly anticipated Marvel film Avengers: Infinity War achieved the highest domestic debut of all time with $258.2 million at the box office, overtaking previous record holder, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The movie featured characters from the original Avengers movie along with new additions, such as Black Panther, Spider Man, Scarlet Witch, Doctor Strange, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Comedian Michelle Wolf incited controversy over her performance at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night, with much opposition coming from jokes regarding Kellyanne Conway and Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Wolf has responded to critics by stating that “I wouldn’t change a single word. I’m very happy with what I said, and I’m glad I stuck to my guns.”

About the Contributors
Kira Downs, Section Editor
I’m Kira Downs, a 12th grade Telstar Writer. I am a lover of books, coffee, and striped shirts. If you’re wondering who smells like chlorine in your class, it’s probably me.
Emilio Zipf, Staff
I am Emilio Zipf, a senior at Satellite High School. I write articles about student life which includes new trends, things that go on, and literally anything else. In my free time I like to run, and grow out my afro.