Scorpionettes Search for More Members

New members learn the first steps of a dance during the first meeting.

Photo Credit Megan Galli

Photo Credit Megan Galli

Shania Campbell

Satellite High School’s Scorpionette team (color guard) held its first two meetings and the turnout was slightly less than expected. Some say it’s good to have a total of eight members interested in joining the team, but compared to more than one thousand students at Satellite the number could be a lot higher.

What most people think color guard involves is girls marching while holding a flag or baton alongside the marching band at the football halftime shows. The reality is color guard performs differently with their own dance routine and costumes alongside the marching band. The Scorpionettes and marching band work hand-in-hand to deliver a powerful performance every time with the Scorpionettes completing the stories created by the marching band.

Similar to cheerleading, the scorpionettes are responsible for projecting school spirit, learning long dance routines, and performing with enthusiasm. Scorpionettes use pom-poms, six-foot flags, and dancing to convey a performance with a certain mood. Color guard practices different things compared to normal sports and have new routines regularly. There isn’t a tryout required in order to be part of the team as long as you try hard and pay attention during every practice.

The color guard coach is Mrs. Dodge who has been training the award winning team for more than twenty years. Satellite High School’s Scorpionettes have been locally, regionally, and nationally recognized for their achievements as members of FBA, FFCC, and WGI.

It’s not too late to become a Scorpionette, with three more practices before the end of the school year for learning the basics. During the past two meetings on April 23rd and 30th, the possible new team members learned the beginning of a dance routine, ways of gracefully running during a performance, a stretching routine, and the basics of holding and twirling the flags. The final clinic will be held May 7th in order to learn the basics and dance camps will be held May 12th and May 19th. During each practice, the team members build muscle to be able to gracefully control the six-foot tall flags and dance for long performances.

New members are welcome until the end of the school year and don’t worry about being far behind because the other members are happy to help. For more information, look for color guard posters at the end of each school hallway, visit practices, or ask members or Mrs. Dodge.

About the Writer
Shania Campbell, Staff
My name is Shania Campbell and I’m in my second year as a Telstar staff member. I’m a very secretive and quiet person with just about everyone, so, if you’ve met me, don’t take it personally.