Dear Me: Regarding Next Year

Photo Credit Elizabeth Gabbard

Photo Credit Elizabeth Gabbard

Elizabeth Gabbard, Staff

Dear Me,

Somehow we’ve almost made it. Another year is quickly coming to a close and after a few months things will start all over again. And though this year hasn’t been the best, I’m just proud that you made it out alive. Not just alive but beginning to thrive; something that I never even imagined was possible.

Although things are finally going right, there’s a few things I feel should be addressed before ending the year and beginning a new one. Things that should be learned from the events of this year.

First, suicide and depression are very real and should be dealt with as soon as any sort of red flag pops up. Not only through personal experience with depression and mental illness have you learned that it is real, and it is a challenge; but Satellite as a whole has learned the impact of suicide. Always remember to take a step back every once in a while and really ask yourself how you’re doing. And maybe not just yourself but others as well. You aren’t the only one struggling and other people need support just as much as you do.

With that being said, don’t spend too much time out of school trying to take care of other things. School is important, and as you’ve learned this year, missing too much makes it so much harder. If you stay on top of your work and continue coming to school, things won’t seem as daunting next year as they did this year. Plus, if you come to school you won’t have to go through the trouble of an FA appeal again and that’s just another stressor that can be eliminated. Point is, go to school, education is good for you.

Building upon the idea that education is important, friends are also important. However, not so important that you put them over your grades. I’m not saying to stop hanging out with people you like or to ditch friends for homework, but try to balance it out. Don’t let any drama that comes with friends, or even strangers, bring you down next year. Be like an eagle and soar above them and whatever negativity they’re putting out. It dragged you down this year so don’t let it take you again.

And finally, just do you very best. Don’t stress yourself out if you aren’t perfect because nobody is and that’s something that everyone needs to learn. All anyone can do is their best and if that means you don’t get things right sometimes that’s okay. Never stop trying. Though doing your best doesn’t mean trying for a minute and quitting. That’s just lazy and a really bad habit. Try your hardest and if you do and still don’t succeed, just take a step back and try again.

Over all I’d say you’ve learned a lot this year, and it’s been a needed experience for you to grow as a person. I hope you take what you’ve learned this year and use it to help you do great things in the school year yet to come. I know that you can do great things if you set your mind to it.

Sincerely, X

About the Contributor
Elizabeth Gabbard, Staff

I’m Elizabeth Gabbard. You’ll probably never see me around school, and if you do, all you’ll see is sunglasses. I spend 90% of my time sleeping or...